Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Ram 1500 V8 5.9L (gasoline engine) 65k miles

I am by no means a gear head but I do like my big truck. Quad cab to get the family around and to make trips to Home Depot / Lowes / etc.

But, I get lower gas mileage than I would expect. 11-13mpg. inlcuding highway.

Looking to get ideas on how best to boost the mpg's.

I replaced the air filter with a K&N but no noticeable difference.

spark plugs / plug wires?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Did you get a complete cold air intake kit, or just replace the filter? If you only did the filter, then drop that and buy a real cold air intake. You can also open up your exhaust and get a programmer as well. These will really help out with your mileage.

Before my current motor build, I had a low 13 second truck and still got almost 20mpg on the highway (70mph) and about 13-14mpg in the city.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced only the filter. Stock intake.

Was also told the programmer only worked for diesel engines. Recommend a programmer mfr?

Didn't feel comfortable tinkering with anything while the vehicle was still in warranty. But, now that it's not, katie bar the door!

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Hypertech and Superchips both make programmers for your engine. I dont own a 5.9 though, so I couldnt tell you which one is better. The Superchips is better for the Hemi guys.

And a cold air intake is a very simple mod. You can make your own for cheap or the "off the shelf" intakes usually run about $250-$300.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.