DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I need all suggestions on how to get 20+mpg out of my truck it's a 2001 one ton with the 5.9 and a five speed!

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
first, get a Raptor/Airdog or a FASS fuel pump so you ain't drainin the rotor of your VP

and then put on some RV275 tips...and maybe stack a Smarty on that DP chip

·
Registered
543 Posts
Put an egg under the skinny pedal.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
taller tires, bhaf

I would even say a lockup switch. I use mine in town in the lower speed zones, and I went from 300 to 350 miles a tank (keep in mind that's winter blend)

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
My daily trip to work is as follows:

10 miles of city, with 3 red lights, and 3 stop signs, and 10 minutes of warm up because it's so damn cold.

10 miles of highway with one redlight.

Every single day. Plus whatever driving and errands I have to do around town after work.

And it's all on "arctic" blend. In the summer when I got the truck, I got 650 to a tank on the highway driving back from colorado.

I also have a really heavy right boot. :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ordered an elbow for my turbo that is supposed to boost my pressure a start don't know if it will help with milage though.

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Boost valve. Being you have a manual it should be easy for better mileage. You want to be able to get up to speed with less effort. A small set of injectors like the ones CJ said (RV275's) will do. I see you have a FP guage:tup: Keep in mind you might bee looking at another LP if you go bigger injectors. Maybe a Big fuel line kit also. More fuel will help you get up to speed with less effort. Just dont get crazy and it start hazing under regular excelleration. That boost valve is a good move.

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Boost valve. Being you have a manual it should be easy for better mileage. You want to be able to get up to speed with less effort. A small set of injectors like the ones CJ said (RV275's) will do. I see you have a FP guage:tup: Keep in mind you might bee looking at another LP if you go bigger injectors. Maybe a Big fuel line kit also. More fuel will help you get up to speed with less effort. Just dont get crazy and it start hazing under regular excelleration. That boost valve is a good move.
Edit: Wash and a good wax, wheel polish to cut through the wind.:wax:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I get around 17 in town with out trying, that's with 4.10 rear end gears. 20+ takes a little work, but the truck has to stay under 70mph with the cruise on.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Yeah, if I did more in town driving or on base, I would go higher gears, but since a lot is highway, I can't make myself do it. And this fu**in winter diesel sh*t

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the lower gears in my truck also.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the 3.55 gears and I can cruise at 70mph at 2000 rpm. I just installed the RAM orfice wastegate upgrade total cost was 40.55 shipping and all it took about 7 min to install and I can def tell the turbo sounds different I'll let you know if my mpg increases or not.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took a cruise with the new hardware extremely impressed my clutch aparently was a lil worn cause it started slippin with the new found power.

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
I have the 3.55 gears and I can cruise at 70mph at 2000 rpm. I just installed the RAM orfice wastegate upgrade total cost was 40.55 shipping and all it took about 7 min to install and I can def tell the turbo sounds different I'll let you know if my mpg increases or not.
You kinda need a boost guage to dial it in right, if you have a good ear for the turbo then you should be fine. Hell I would peretty much screw it shut.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.