DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
couple week ago I had my Flowmaster removed and straight pipes installed. My everyday MPG used to read about 15.3 with the FM, now it reads 13.1 with the straight pipes!!!!!!

Is this normal? I LOVE the sound but 13mpg is just way too low. Do I need to re-install the Flowmaster? and maybe add a cutout in the future?

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Would you get more power from straight pipes as opposed to a muffler? Nightrunner - I've been thinking of going to straight pipes for a while. Which Flowmaster muffler did you have? Is it considerably louder? I have a 40 Series right now, and it's pretty loud - but as usual, anything more obnoxious is better in my book!

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
So basically, I could just have the guy cut it in front of the muffler and dump it right there?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the Super40. I had it cut off and road around with nothin in its place, just a cut pipe underneath the cab. ITS EXTREMELY LOUD. shook everything in the cab, impossible to hear anything.

So I had straight pipes installed running outta the back with dual tips, it funnelled the noise to the back. it still rumbles like hell and way louder than any muffler. it sounds killer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
without the pipes, the MDS was extremely annoying also.... on/off/on/off..... the sound kept changing. the straight pipes outta the back helped the interior sound while keeping the ROAR of the hemi outside the truck.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
NightRunner79 said:
I had the Super40. I had it cut off and road around with nothin in its place, just a cut pipe underneath the cab. ITS EXTREMELY LOUD. shook everything in the cab, impossible to hear anything.

So I had straight pipes installed running outta the back with dual tips, it funnelled the noise to the back. it still rumbles like hell and way louder than any muffler. it sounds killer.
Nice! I think I'll have the exhaust shop cut it off and dump it before the axle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
sandiegohemi said:
Nice! I think I'll have the exhaust shop cut it off and dump it before the axle.
Thats exactly how mine is now. Man its sooo loud, i love it. Its got a deep rumble that sounds awesome at low RPM's, but once you stomp it, it pretty much just screams and sounds like its moving an extreme amount of air. Youll get a priceless look hauling ass by cars with their window down or convertibles. I like it, ive had 5 diff. exhaust setups and this is one ill stick with. Then again im a 19 year old college student that loves it loud and obnoxious.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Quick question, did you have them dump the pipe underneath the cab or underneath the bed? Did they just cut if off straight or put a downturn on it?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Underneath the bed right before the axle, and they put downturns on it but not all the way at the ground, just at a little downward angle..You dont wanna have them straight towards the ground i wouldnt think.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
NightRunner79 said:
move that sound as far from the cab as possible for a daily driver. it'll still be MUCH BETTER than any crappy muffler around. its more annoying than any Flowmaster drone you'll ever hear
That's funny because I've had my 40 Series on for two years now, and I am used to the cab drone. Its crazy, stuff will rattle inside my truck with the windows up. At first, I had a headache for a good two weeks. Now, I'm used to it.

I spent the last hour doing a search on here for straight pipes. 50% say it sounds great, the other 50% say its too raspy. If we could all agree, this decision wouldn't be so hard!! lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
they are right. it sounds like dog$hit in the mornings when I start it up. So raspy its almost embarrassing. thats partly reason Im thinking of putting the muffler back on, I also wondered why my MPG's dropped so much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pretty much if u wanna turn heads, and like it loud id go with the str8's. I never really cared about any drone, i just know its a hell of alot of fun. And im not sure but you might be able to disconnect your muffler with basic tools. Check it out and see if u like it. If you cant unbolt it somewhere before the muffler, i would just cut it, if you like it, get the pipes put on, and if not have it welded back together for 10 bucks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah its kinda the Good with the Bad combo.

Engine warm = SOUNDS KILLER! Best sound you'll ever hear!

engine cold = RICER! (but thats only at start up). LOL

I had to have straight pipes exit in the rear tho. Maybe it was worse with the 06's cause the MDS goes on/off and it sounds like $hit in the cab with nothin after the cats.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I ran a straight pipe for awhile.
Straight pipe from the Y with a side exit right in front of the passenger side rear tire.
I like the side exit exhaust!!
If you time it just right and open it up as you pass people on the highway you can scare the bejeebus out of some people!

I liked the sound.
My wife didn't appreciate it.
I put my exhaust back on.
I didn't notice a mpg change though . . .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yea, no MPG change here either

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.