DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a way my wife doesn't have to drive the D on our 1400 mile move.
UHaul has car towing ability but not for the HEAVY D!

I have seen RVs tow vehicles in neutral. I was wondering if anyone knows what is used to tow vehicles this way. Is it something attached to the towing truck's hitch?
I know I can put the D in neutral, with transmission off. This would make the move easier if it was just behind the UHaul.

2005 Limited 4x4 with all options D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Uhaul has a thing called a car dolly that the front wheels of the towed car rests on and is pulled behind the uhaul. If that won't work for the Durango, try a full size car trailer from uhaul. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both towing abilities you mentioned have a max of around 4k lbs. The D weighs well over 6k lbs.
I would use the D to pull a rented covered trailer but UHaul's largest is a 12' trailer, not nearly large enough.

Just wondering if anyone has towed their D around with a tow bar or something.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Have you checked the owner's manual? I have been told pulling a vehicles this way is not good on the drive train. If it were me I would have my wife drive the Uhaul and I would gladly drive the D 1400 miles. That might be why I am not married LOL.

Just curious why you seemed to be against just driving it. To me the hassle of pulling and the risk of doing damage to a new truck is not worth it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You haven't seen my wife drive! :D

The D has a setting to disengage the drive train. I will probably have her drive the D, she can do much more damage in the UHaul.

Just looking for alternative methods.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I know you can disengage the transfer case but your axles, drive shafts and some components in the transfer case are still turning. I was just saying what the owner of a local transmission shop told me. It is one thing to pull a vehicle 20 miles to a garage, it is another to pull one 1400 miles.

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
People often move vehicles arcoss country with 4 wheels on the ground. There are companies that make hitches for the front so you can hook up to the receiver and ball on the u-haul. The only parts that will be turning with the T-case and Tranny in neutral are the differential gears and the driveshaft/CV shafts. Nothing internally in the T-case and tranny will be turning, so there isn't a need for pressurized lubication to protect the internal parts are they are not turning.

·
'99 Durango SLT
283 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
"No electronic transfer case 4 wheel drive is towable as is, however Ford has announced an add on kit for the 1996 and newer Explorer that will make it towable."

This applies to our 2nd gen Ds correct?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
When all else fails read the instructions. Quote from my '04 Durango owner's manual. page 238

"Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles

The manufacture recommends towing with all wheels off the ground. Acceptable methods are to tow the vehicle on a flatbed or with one end of the vehicle raised and the opposite end on a towing dolly."

For 2wd you can tow up to 15 miles at no more than 30mph with trans in N otherwise use a flatbed.

My trans mechanic knows what he is talking about.

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
HEMI x 2 said:
"No electronic transfer case 4 wheel drive is towable as is, however Ford has announced an add on kit for the 1996 and newer Explorer that will make it towable."

This applies to our 2nd gen Ds correct?
Really, I had two Dakotas with electronic shiftable 4wd, both had a neutral disengagment position just like my current Ram does that uses the conventional lever. Now if the new Durangos do not have that selection on the knob, then i will rest my case and concede defeat, otherwise, if it does indeed have a neutral position for the transfer case, then I feel there would be no danger in towing with all four wheels on the ground. However, with that said, its always good to follow the owners manual in case of a warranty issue. So the call is the original poster's, just posting my 2 pennies.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't if it applies here but I have always been told when towing a car for a long way you should unhook the driveshaft. That way none of the tranny parts are moving, just the diff gears.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
My owners manual also clearly states that towing the Gen 1 Durango should only be done on a flat bed with all 4 wheels off the ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
RoadKill05 said:
I don't if it applies here but I have always been told when towing a car for a long way you should unhook the driveshaft. That way none of the tranny parts are moving, just the diff gears.

BINGO!!

this is also what is done with $100K+ rigs when they're towed.
consider this...your t-case is in neutral...your towing with two wheels on the ground...by some freak occurrence, the t-case engages!!! it's not such a freak occurence (several years as ford motor co's warranty tracker for north american rangers).

as RoadKill05 said, with the t-case in neutral you still have the drive shafts spinning which means there's something in the tranny or the t-case that's spinning that's not getting pumped or splashed lube to it - at the very least you're speeding up your service appt for replacing some bearings and seals.

and just because a tow bar is made for a vehicle doesn't mean it's appropriate...
best bet is a full dolly or drop the driveshafts (at the pumpkins obviously)

·
Registered
42 Posts
don't if it applies here but I have always been told when towing a car for a long way you should unhook the driveshaft. That way none of the tranny parts are moving, just the diff gears.
Thats what we do in the military with long hauls and rear wheel drive vehecles pick up from the front. You always want to lift the drive wheels when towing. If it isnt four wheels drive and you are towing it from the front just drop the driveshaft and you are good to go

ken

ps. Cant help you on the weight issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.