DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the warmer weather coming I decided to experiment with moving the IAT sensor to the airbox top from the Hemi Hat. I already had the Air Ram Power Wire but really haven't used it, I bought another IAT sensor from Air Ram for $10. I've always wanted a spare IAT in case I broke it messy around so this was a good time. I just unplugged the sensor and left the old one in the Hemi Hat to block the hole, the new sensor went into the airbox top. I haven't even driven the truck yet, just finished the installation and took a few pics. I'll post later on the results, if any.
Jim

· Registered
16,087 Posts
Ram4...

If you dont mind me asking.,... What was your reason for doing this? Just curious. If its benneficial, I may try it. Its hotter than hell down here in Mississippi already.

Also, if you are nto using the powerwire mod yet, I HIGHLY recommend doing so.. Its a nice addition!

· Banned
3,901 Posts
KaPPaBaLL said:
I'm thinking there is no gain. if anything .0001 rwhp but anything's worth a try.
Hey, .0001 is better than .0000

· Registered
1,564 Posts
Let us know what you find!

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dskirtech said:
Ram4...

If you dont mind me asking.,... What was your reason for doing this? Just curious. If its benneficial, I may try it. Its hotter than hell down here in Mississippi already.

Also, if you are nto using the powerwire mod yet, I HIGHLY recommend doing so.. Its a nice addition!
I was thinking the ambient air temp would be cooler in the airbox than it is in the Hemi Hat and that the sensor would get a better reading of the true outside air temp. The Hemi Hat sits on top of the engine, it must soak up some of that heat which in turn may heat up the sensor. I dunno, if the sensor get's a temp reading that's 5-10* cooler from the airbox than it would from the Hemi Hat, it might make a touch more power. Just playing around, you never know.
Jim

· Registered
3,090 Posts
TTURedRaider09 said:
Hey, .0001 is better than .0000

That's what she said. :nutkick:

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lurkin said:
How did you attach the AIT to the airbox? Assumed that you drilled it out and put a grommet in? If so, can you provide the bit size and where you found the grommet?
I used a 3/4 speed drill bit but it wasn't quite big enough so I ended up using a tapered grinding bit to open the hole up a little more. I would use what you think fits the grommet you find, don't predrill the hole then go looking for a grommet, find the grommets first. I found the grommets at AutoZone, they had a multi pack of different sizes. Once I slid the IAT into the grommet I mounted in the airbox, it was a little loose (grommet not exact size) so I used a smaller grommet that I slid down over the IAT itself to hold it in place (you can see it in the pic).
Jim

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fmdog44 said:
That's what she said. :nutkick:
In my case that would be .000005 LOL!
Jim

· Registered
623 Posts
I think things like these are worthless but give you props for trying something new. If it would make more power like this then the DC engineers would have done it.....

· Banned
532 Posts
results?

/drumroll.....

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
johninaustin said:
results?

/drumroll.....
Well, last night my G-tech times were slower with the mod than without. I did two runs with the Air Ram power wire plugged into the sensor in the airbox, then two with the sensor plug into the Hemi Hat, no Power Wire. I ran .1 quicker the stock way! However, I'm not sure about the PW I've got. I've had it for a while and each time I've tested it, my truck got .1 slower rather than .1 quicker when I used it with the sensor in the stock location. I've contacted Nick (Air Ram) and he's sending me a new PW and I'm sending mine back, maybe I got a bad one. I've also ordered just the wire extension from him to test the IAT mod itself, no resistor like the PW has, it may be messing things up. This way, I can see if just relocating the sensor makes any difference at all. Then I will try the new PW I get and see if it makes any difference, good or bad. This will be a long term test, results will take a while. I'll post when I'm done and let you all know what I find out, good or bad.
Jim

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.