DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for the OEM tow bar hooks for the front of the 1500's on eBay, they go fast there. $130 at the dealer seems like a lot, so I've been looking for a used one there.

A lot of them say they come with "three bolts at each end" but that they are not sure if that is all the mounting hardware. I dont want to save thirty bucks but then dump it at the dealer for some high-grade bolts that were missing.

Anyone know how many bolts the OEM tow hooks use to mount?

thanks
t711

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
i'll go and take a look for ya

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
from what i looked at, each hook is mounted to the bar by 2 bolts each.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
There are three per side, I removed my hooks a lil while back and painted the hooks themselves. Remember on th 1500s its a complete bar with the hooks attached, the 2500/3500s have separate individual hooks.

KB

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks, you guys. There are lots of 2500/3500 hooks on eBay, but the 1500 bars seem a little rare.

KB112, did the paint hold up at all? It seems like after one pull it would come right off.

·
Registered
117 Posts
anybody know if you could put the 2500/3500 hooks on a 1500?

i'm sure somebody has access to both vehicles and could figure it out

thanx in advance

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at that, too. I like the HD hooks better, plus they are more readily available and cheaper on ebay. But I think they mount on to frame members that do not exist on 1500's. Havent really looked myself, though. If someone knows, I'd like to know too.

·
Country Boy
771 Posts
YOU CANT USE 2500/3500 TOW HOOKS ON A RAM 1500. SAME GOES FOR USING 1500 ON A 25/3500. mY TOW HOOKS THAT I GOT OFF OF E BAY DID NOT COME WITH HARDWARE. ONE TRIP TO HOME DEPOT AND I WAS ALL SET. 6 BOLTS TOTAL

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
sorry for the bad info, i justk know my truck came with the hooks, im not expert on how they where installed at the factory, i just seen the bar, and the hooks on it, with 2 bolts holding each hook on..

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
Thanks and btw i was just reading a thread on DTW, where people where saying they installed the 2500 hooks on there 1500's.

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
i seen where one guy said he installed some, his profile says he has a 2002 1500....so, wouldnt hurt to check into it.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
I have them on mine. Took about 20 minutes to do and the only thing that the instructions tell you to do that I did differently is not to undo both sides at the frame at the same time just one side at a time and no aliment problems. Will try to find instelation sheet and scan it if you want. The dealer gave me a second bar but only has the bracket to mount it for one side, thats why they gave it to me. Thought I might bolt it on the back someware.
Not much choice if you want to pull or be pulled from the front, I could find nothing strong enough on the front to hook to so went with the factory set up, warranty intact.
Rob

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So did that factory set come with some sort of reinforcement behind the bar? Thats what some of the threads here have said. I don't think the eBay ones have those.

If you don't mind, how much did the dealer charge you for the bar?

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
No reinforcement behind the bar, it must weigh 30/35 lbs and is quite a substantail piece. It looks like it is cast as one item. The hooks are not welded on they are part of the bar. It also has hollow sections I would imagine to try to keep weight down. The spare I have only has the mounting bracket for one side and they are quite complex.
The list price was $135.00 and I paid $104.50. It is a Mopar part and is marked " same as production ".
Rob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.