DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
or no car
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have ideas how to mount a box with an easy way to remove it if needed? I'm looking for a box that sits in the truck bed and not over the rails.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i just centered it where i wanted it and shot some sheet metal screws with washers in each corner.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I had one that came with a mounting plate .. the plate was bolted thru the bed and the box locked in at the 4 corners ... it worked out well.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
On a previous truck, I just used a few screws across the back to hold it into place against the front of the bed. Not needed to empty it to remove it.

But the last couple have been through the bottom into the bed of the truck.

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
Place your tool box on your truck where you want it mounted. From underneath, mark where you bed line is. Remove the box and drill 2 holes on each side just about 1/4 out from your line.. then mount the tool box back where you want it. Drop some J hooks with thread on it.. The hook parts will sit under the bed lip.. and then tighten then down..

No holes to drill in bed..

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
Place your tool box on your truck where you want it mounted. From underneath, mark where you bed line is. Remove the box and drill 2 holes on each side just about 1/4 out from your line.. then mount the tool box back where you want it. Drop some J hooks with thread on it.. The hook parts will sit under the bed lip.. and then tighten then down..

No holes to drill in bed..
Said he didn't want over the rail....

·
or no car
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah im trying to find a tool chest to mount in the bed, one that i could put a tonneau cover over eventually. captain mason has a good idea. i dont mind bolting it to the bed just would like a way to unbolt it from the inside easily if the need arised. i may just mount it permanently if nothing else, i dont see myself having to take it out too often.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I at one time saw where someone use hood pin latches and mounted one that way so it could be removed fairly easy

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
I at one time saw where someone use hood pin latches and mounted one that way so it could be removed fairly easy
That is a pretty good idea!

·
or no car
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats a good one. hmm i may look into that

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
Shut up! I didn't read the entire thing :) My bad! :D
It's ok Donkey :p

I mounted a toolbox chest in my ex's ram and we put 4 bolts through the floor and 2 through the back. We thought about using some quick release option but soon realized that if you're carrying that much stuff to warrant a chest, you don't need to be taking it out. Her's was always loaded down with random stuff but always seemed to be filled up.

My point being, if you're really going to be loading up the chest, I would look into a very secure way to keep it mounted down all the time as you could easily have a couple hundred lbs of goodies and the last thing you want is some pins wiggling free or round out bigger holes and doing more damage than good.

·
or no car
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's ok Donkey :p

I mounted a toolbox chest in my ex's ram and we put 4 bolts through the floor and 2 through the back. We thought about using some quick release option but soon realized that if you're carrying that much stuff to warrant a chest, you don't need to be taking it out. Her's was always loaded down with random stuff but always seemed to be filled up.

My point being, if you're really going to be loading up the chest, I would look into a very secure way to keep it mounted down all the time as you could easily have a couple hundred lbs of goodies and the last thing you want is some pins wiggling free or round out bigger holes and doing more damage than good.

Good point, i've decided to permanently mount it now I just need to find a box. Craigslist has a ton of over the rail types for cheap but no dice for what I want. May have to take the hit on a new one

·
Registered
338 Posts
Good point, i've decided to permanently mount it now I just need to find a box. Craigslist has a ton of over the rail types for cheap but no dice for what I want. May have to take the hit on a new one
I have been looking for 6 months for a good used chest just like the one you are describing. No dice local as well! I also didnt want to break the bank but also wanted one that could take some abuse. I am permanently mounting it to the bed as mentioned above. I have a soft cover on the truck as well.

I have seen ones at HD and Lowes for mid 200's. Construction grade and price jumps to mid 300's and up. Decisions, decisions, ...... which is gonna hold up.:dunno:

good luck.

·
or no car
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been looking for 6 months for a good used chest just like the one you are describing. No dice local as well! I also didnt want to break the bank but also wanted one that could take some abuse. I am permanently mounting it to the bed as mentioned above. I have a soft cover on the truck as well.

I have seen ones at HD and Lowes for mid 200's. Construction grade and price jumps to mid 300's and up. Decisions, decisions, ...... which is gonna hold up.:dunno:

good luck.

i think since we are looking for a box thats gonna mount to the bed we would be fine with a standard box. a construction grade would be nice but not really needed. i heard with the cheap boxes that it may bend under heavier loads for the over the rail type boxes but for the chest type probably dont have to worry about it. northern tool has some decent deals and a good selection i think im gonna go there. now i just need to find a black one then im good.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
http://www.weatherguard.com/truck_tool_boxes/view_products.php?subcat_id=15

A friend of mine is a contractor. I knew nothing about truck toolboxes. I asked him. He said don't waste your money on anything less. I bought an over the rail WeatherGuard & am VERY happy with it. I bought it to house my 2nd battery setup, 2000w inverter, & onboard air setup. Right now I have the 75lb battery in there & about 100-150lbs of recovery gear & tools. No issues with sagging, bending, ect. He said plastic ones will sag-bend-break when loaded up, sitting in the sun. Cheap metal ones can be EASILY broken into-he had $3000 worth of tools stolen, then he got the WeatherGuard & has been happy. Good luck.

·
or no car
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well ive looked around for a week on craigslist but no one has a chest type box for sale. went around to the local stores and i cant find a black one. i figured if i bought a cheap aluminum one and powdercoat it it would cost the same amount as the weatherguard and not be as secure, so im gonna order one online. found a place that ships for free. their 47" long model is $506 before tax. after reading there testimonials i think im sold. lol

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

·
or no car
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i ordered one of these yesterday. seems no one local stocks them but found a place online that ships for very cheap. ill post some install pics in a few days

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I just have four like 3in self tapping sheet metal screws in the bottom of mine...with washers of course. Mine isnt easily taken our or anything, but it wouldnt take a minute with a drill to take it out. You say you want one you can take in and out, but with the weight of the box/tools and the random stuff you WILL put in there, id just do a perm mount

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.