DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if they make hand tools to mount a tire to a rim.

I was thinking I could save some weight, and gain some storage (inside the tire).

I don't know how well it'd work with a larger tire, but I know with trailer tires, I can tighten a cord around the middle, which puts enough pressure on the sides for the bead to set. Then I could just use an air compressor mounted on the engine, with no tank.

What do you think?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I remember back in the day my father and brother would mount car tires in the garage. They would wrestle the tire onto the rim and then spray carb cleaner inside the tire and light it. It would "blow" the tire onto the rim and seat the bead. I was like 10 years old so there may have been a little more to the process that I don't recall.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
what exactly are you trying to smuggle?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sebringdroptop said:
They would wrestle the tire onto the rim and then spray carb cleaner inside the tire and light it. It would "blow" the tire onto the rim and seat the bead.
Sounds fun :)

chizzle1 said:
what exactly are you trying to smuggle?
LMAO! I'm crunchin the numbers on this camping rig i'm trying to build, and realize the more weight I can save, and the more storage I can utilize, the better ;)

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
yep starting fluid sprayed into the tire after the tire is mounted will blow the tire onto the rim and it will be aired up. I don't recommend you teach yourself to do if that is necessary have someone who had done it to show you. But the other way will work too but sometimes need a little more than a portable air compressor to get the beads started.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yep, that is the old farmers trick for getting tractor tires to seal up against tapered beads. Just don't go wild on the ether in the tire, and light it from a distance. Pretty impressive looking the first time or two.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Hey bufordpisser I was trying to kill the bug on my screen for a second how do you put pictures and stuff abobe your user name.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
elliottcarlose said:
Hey bufordpisser I was trying to kill the bug on my screen for a second
:thatfunny

Go to your control panel. On the left it says, 'Edit Avatar'. Click on that, then you can use a GIF file for moving pictures.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I used to do tires like you want to do back many years ago (25-30). What we used on the beads to help them seat was high temp wheel bearing grease. The other thing we used to get the beads to seat were tire irons, which looked like a steel rod with one end flattened out like a beaver tail.

The hard part was to get the tire started on the rim. Once you acheived this, the rest was fairly easily. As for squeezing the tire, use a racheting tie down strap.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The post below your give directions...........

elliottcarlose said:
Hey bufordpisser I was trying to kill the bug on my screen for a second how do you put pictures and stuff abobe your user name.
Yeah, they broke a monitor the other day at work because one of the girls was trying to swat the bugs on the screen.(Made a screen saver out of it) Had one of a roach running across the screen also, cant find it now. :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've mounted several tires using a pry bar and ratchet strap.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Budd said:
Just curious if they make hand tools to mount a tire to a rim.

I was thinking I could save some weight, and gain some storage (inside the tire).

All you will do is gain some storage...
50 lbs of stuff in a tire will still be 50 lbs of weight...

As far as storage look under your truck like in the sides of the bed,,lots of empty space in there.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was just thinking about the weight of the rim. It's not much, but still maybe 45 pounds or so.
Hey, is mounting tires on 3 piece beadlock wheel any easier?

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yes, but then you have to carry 55 lbs of tools to get them mounted. Use the ether method and a prybar. It works and a can of ether is light. Just don't carry it inside in the winter.

·
MYTYT
1,512 Posts
If im in that much of a bind, I use ether. Just be carefull! A little ether goes along ways! :jmad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.