DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. I took a 5.7 out of a 2006 Dodge ram put it in a 2005 Dodge ram now it is idling really rough and i bypassed the mds with the plugs

·
Red Trucker
1,926 Posts
LMAO....jesus this seems to be happening alot lately. You didn't bypass anything, all you did was turn your 8 cyl into a 4 cyl. You can't delete MDS without pulling the solenoids AND replacing the MDS specific lifters. Removing the solenoids just collapsed the lifters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

LMAO....jesus this seems to be happening alot lately. You didn't bypass anything, all you did was turn your 8 cyl into a 4 cyl. You can't delete MDS without pulling the solenoids AND replacing the MDS specific lifters. Removing the solenoids just collapsed the lifters.
The MDS would be cylinders 1 4 6 7 but my injectors is not firing on 1 4 6 8

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I will but the truck It's in now was not equipped for MDS but I will try that let you know but I still can't plug to still cant plug them up there's no wiring for them on a 2005

·
Red Trucker
1,926 Posts
Did you, or did you not pull the heads and replace those lifters?

You're not getting it. It doesn't matter if you can plug them in or not; if you didn't pull the heads and replace those four cylinders worth of lifters and you pulled the solenoids, those lifters will COLLAPSE. Default position for the system is off, which means lifters pumped up/normal operation but if you remove the solenoid then those oil passages are open and the lifters don't stay pumped up.

I know the 03-05 isn't wired for it, 1) I'm a mechanic and I have a clue as to what I'm doing and 2) I'm a mechanic who owns one of these trucks and has torn it half apart on more than one occasion, so I have a clue as to what I'm doing. So either answer the damn question or listen to what I'm telling you, because I'm not the one who thought "bypassing MDS" entailed yanking the solenoids and plopping plugs in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I have not replaced the lifters you don't have to be a dick about it No one said you didn't know what you were talking about Just a simple question I don't need someone to be an asshole to me

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I wanted to know is if you had replace them are not for to work in this truck I am sorry that I have inconvenienced you in any way

·
Red Trucker
1,926 Posts
No I have not replaced the lifters you don't have to be a dick about it No one said you didn't know what you were talking about Just a simple question I don't need someone to be an asshole to me
No one is being a dick; if anyone was being a dick you would've called an idiot or imbecile for messing with an engine and associated subsystem you knew nothing about and hadn't bothered to research and then insisting you knew better what was wrong with it (even though you came to a forum to ask for help).

All I wanted to know is if you had replace them are not for to work in this truck I am sorry that I have inconvenienced you in any way
You never asked that. At all. In fact, when told what your painfully obvious problem was, you said it was the injectors and that your truck wasn't wired for MDS. Inconvenienced, not at all; amused annoyance would be more accurate. I've had this same conversation with four different people across different forums in the past couple months.

To summarize: you pulled the solenoids ignorant of the fact that you can't half ass an MDS delete, it's all or nothing; you're mad because you couldn't figure that one out on your own; you're mad because someone knew exactly what you're problem was just from reading your very first post; since I suspect you destroyed the solenoids taking them out (most people do because they don't like to come out easy) your options are pull heads and replace lifters or get replacement solenoids. If you've gotten to the point where you're joining a forum for the first time because you can't figure something out, listen to what people have to say. Throw in any pertinent info and anything you tried, but don't throw in what you think is wrong because news flash: what you thought was wrong wasn't it and that's why you're here. When you get the solenoids remember to lube the o-rings (there are three) with engine oil and GENTLY tap them home with a rubber mallet or deadblow hammer (NOT A METAL HAMMER) til they are seated. If they aren't seated, the ports won't line up, you'll have half pumped lifters or not at all and they'll leak oil all over the middle of the block and foam pad. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What you said did fix it and I did research it I even went to or Dodge dealership and that's what they told me to do thus why we spent the 80.00 on the plugs and did it that way Just a truck me my son's trying to fix up together Thank you for your help and sorry that I inconvenienced you

·
Red Trucker
1,926 Posts
What you said did fix it and I did research it I even went to or Dodge dealership and that's what they told me to do thus why we spent the 80.00 on the plugs and did it that way Just a truck me my son's trying to fix up together Thank you for your help and sorry that I inconvenienced you
Then why didn't you say so before? FYI dealerships SUCK for technical advice outside of an absolute stock install. Are you guys gonna modify it or just leave it stock?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The motor was a brand new rebuilt motor that was in my truck before got hit me head on So we're just gonna leave it stock I guess we was just fixing up his first truck together

·
Registered
36 Posts
maybe you can use tuner to shut mds off and run 8 cyl all the time without any mechanical modifications. it works on 06+ but I'm not sure about 03-05.

PS: got an experience with mixing 5.7 06-08 block with 09+ heads. still remember all details with pushrods length, lifter difference and head height.... finally it's better to replace an engine with exact one without experiments...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts