DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2003 Ram 1500 4x4 4 door 5 speed. It came with two 4.7L motors. The motor in it has 252000 kms. The other motor (we don't know what year it is, we think it's from a 2005) has 27000 kms. When we swapped out the motors the new motor would not turn over. After some research we found that the tone wheels were different. (the old one has 16 teeth and the new one has 32 teeth) So we swapped out the tone wheels. The tone wheel on the crank matched up. The cam tone wheel slots did not line up. The motor does turn over and does not show an engine light on the dash. We have to hook up a scanner to check for internal codes. The truck feels sluggish and starved for fuel. Do we need to change out the cam for a 2003 cam or is it something small to rectify the problem?

·
Registered
9,804 Posts
If it wont "turn over" I would start looking at the starter or Power to the starter. Incorrect tone rings will not prevent it from turning over... they will just prevent it from starting.

Your 2003 truck should have an NGC PCM which uses the 32-tooth Crank Tone ring.

Make sure you use the matching CAM & CRANK tone rings from the same engine.

In a nut shell...

If your truck has a 3-PLUG PCM (J-TEC) you need the 16-tooth Tone ring (With matching cam tone ring)

If your truck has a 4-PLUG PCM (NGC) you need the 32-tooth tone ring (With matching cam tone ring)

If its running rough, I would check Fuel & timing... how old is the fuel? If the fuel is known as good then your most likely looking at a timing issue...

Keep us posted.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.