DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need atleast 1 motor mount changed on my 89 2wd 318. Has anyone done it without a hoist? It's hard to find anywhere under the engine to pick it up without hurting something.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
A piece of 2x4 board and any kind of jack that will go under the oil pan with the 2x4 between the jack and pan.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that, but I'm afraid to lift by the pan. I was helpting my dad a while back with his 383, we put a jack under the pan and it started to flex inward. As soon as I saw that, I stopped. I wouldn't want to smash the oil pump/pickup or anything.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I couldn't imagine another way than a hoist, that would be just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Use a longer board.
I have seen guys put the jack under the harmonic balancer, also with a board.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
I have used a square of 3/4" plywood and 2x4 stacked on my van. (The plywood extending beyond the edge of the pan.) Afterwards snug up the pan bolts as this compresses the pan gasket.
I wouldn't jack at the balancer as it can tear the rubber. First time I tried this at the pulley and it bent then rotated the engine 180 and straightened it when I had completed the second mount.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may give it a try tomorrow. I'll just have to keep an eye on the pan as I put pressure on it and make sure it doesn't do anything it shouldn't. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Stand the 2x4 or 2x6 up on end and place it underneath the oil pan rail (where the pan bolts to the block) then jack it up. I've done it that way many times, its much better than jacking under the pan with anything...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stand the 2x4 or 2x6 up on end and place it underneath the oil pan rail (where the pan bolts to the block) then jack it up. I've done it that way many times, its much better than jacking under the pan with anything...

That's what I did this morning. Worked great! And when your erngine's been resting on the frame rail since buying the truck, it doesn't even feel like the same truck anymore. Almost as smooth as our '04 Durango now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.