DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted a while back, my '98 24 v. CTD shows oil pressure much of the time as soon as the ignition is turned on. I went to a local Cummins' dealer (shop) and tried to buy a replacement oil pressure sender (sensor) #3408428. I was told that number had been superceded and after the parts man called Cummin's in another city, I was told I needed part 4076930 and 3164755. I bought the parts and got home to find that the "parts" were an oil pressure switch and a short wiring harness. This converts the sensor to an oil pressure switch and requires flashing the ECM and hooking the harness to the Deutsch OEM connector and capping the old harness connector. It then says if the "parts" are correctly installed the oil pressure will show 55 psi + or - 1psi. on the "INSITE" computer. This sounds like it turns the oil pressure gauge into a dummy gauge. I got a PM earlier from another member who said he replaced his sender with p/n 4921511( they couldn't find this number) and it was a simple R & R. Does anyone have a current part number for a straight swap of the oil pressure sender? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I finally got a call through to Cummins' technical. They did confirm that the replacement of the oil pressure sensor with their oil pressure switch would in effect make the gauge into a "dumb" gauge-55 psig for any normal oil pressure and 0 psig for less or none. The technician said that the P/N 3408428 was the correct number for the sensor I need. He said P/N 4921511 that another member said he used, was also listed as a "sensor" but he didn't have any other information about it. Cummins was not a pool of information and he kept telling me the local parts dealers should have the correct information. The only problem with this is that here where I live, the only parts dealers are set up to work with semi-tractors not Dodge pickups.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.