DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new mopar performance computer and was wondering if anyone has had one, and if they had any problems with the install or with their trucks performance afterwards?

·
JAFO
191 Posts
Not that anyone here has-but we need a little bit more info: Make-Model-Year-Engine-4x4 or 4x2? You know, all the specifics. We may be able to help you out more. As for me, I have a 98 Durango with the MPP Computer and have had no ill effects with it. Depending on what year you have, you may have to it flashed by the dealer to input the VIN Number or else you will have the constant Anti-Lock Brake light on. But that's no problem- I've been running that way for about a year now. Someday I will get it flashed by the dealer. Also -Welcome to DodgeTalk! :)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I have a 1995 5.9V8 2wd auto Ram,
and bought a Mopar Performance PCM and ran it for about 15,000 miles

I could definitely feel the increased torque in the 1500-2500 rpm range at full throttle. I had to use 93 octane to keep the engine from pinging, which it would do starting about 3200 rpm at full throttle. In fact, I would look for the Sunoco 95 octane when I could find it.

I keep track of my MPG using an Oztrip Meter.
In 6,493 miles with the MP PCM and using 93 octane,
my average MPG was 15.4.

Previously with the standard PCM and 87 octane I had averaged 16.2 MPG over many thousand miles.

I have read posts where Ram owners said they got better MPG with the MP PCM but my experience was different.

On 1995's the MP PCM appears to advance the timing more than later years.
Using a ScanTool OBD-I scanner it appears the MP PCM advances the ignition timing about 12 degrees on mine compared to the standard PCM.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I don't know if you have read my 8 page long, 'Magnum Sparkplug FAQ' but yes I have tried about a dozen different make sparkplugs of varying heat ranges.

In a nutshell - colder heat range sparkplugs don't seem to hurt or help much.

What does seem to matter is that the lower edge of the ground wire of the sparkplug, and the top edges of the center post - be sharp. Bigger gaps help a bit, but then the sparkplug needs to be pulled out and re-gapped more often. 'Indexing' the sparkplug so that the ground wire is over near the wall and does not block the growth of the flame as it expands away from the spark also seems to help. see
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/07/indexplugs/index.shtml

also make sure your ignition wires are not 'cross firing' between cylinders 5
and 7
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed my computer today filled up on 93 octane and now it wants to shut off after I let off the throttle what's up with that I need help asap! :help:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.