DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AWD is the right way
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Mopar Intake system on my RT AWD. Install took 35 minutes.

I took the car out for a noise check and it will roar at WOT, quiet while cruising and little growl under moderate acceleration. The overall sound at light cruise seems a little more rumbly now together with the Mopar exhaust.

My SOPD has not been in action for awhile so I can't really say it has more power for sure. Also, I haven't been on hard for a while so the adaptable settings are in granny mode. I did notice that with each additional run, it did seem more responsive.

I did not disconnect the battery ... let that smart aleck computer figure it out on its own.

Why the Mopar, Feng Shuei ... all my other mods are Mopar also.

Picture may be seen at my web page as shown in the sig.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I love that intake, man.
Do they all come with the big M on em? Is it just a sticker you can take off before it gets all hot?
Thats the only thing I don't like about it.
Still the best lookin cold air intake I have seen.

·
Registered
293 Posts
done, Which Borla exhaust do you have on? the 112's or 125's? Also, how much is the Mopar intake?

·
AWD is the right way
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kupaa said:
done, Which Borla exhaust do you have on? the 112's or 125's? Also, how much is the Mopar intake?
I have the Mopar/Borla which is equivalent to the 112.

The intake was $292.61 plus $15 for shipping from Mopar Super Center.

Part # is P4510832

·
AWD is the right way
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MAGNUM FORCE said:
Oh no, not another HOT air intake :VHOT:

So? It looks neat and sounds good and I wanted to play with my car. I am not pushing the car in my normal driving to the point where the intake temp is critical to performance, so I don't care if it is a little warmer than stock, although that has not been tested.

However, I still like your new hood, even though it it is just a "look good" thingy.

G

·
Hey, no offense. If you went with an aftermarket intake just for looks and sound, then "Mo-par" to ya. I was just noting that this design is also open to underhood ambient air, which is warmer than the air coming from underneath the car, as the factory box takes in. I thought the main point of a CAI was to capture the coolest air possible. But you're right, there are other points of interest (sound and looks).

As for the hood, it will do more than look good...there is a functional airbox in the works to utilize the air coming into the scoop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Done, I like the intake and will most likely go the "MOPAR" route also. I'm waiting on the "Face off" results, but don't expect to see much difference between the "Hot air" intakes and the Volant. It's not like we're trying to shave a couple of tenths here to get in the 10 second range. To me it is more about looks and sound for this car.

·
AWD is the right way
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MAGNUM FORCE said:
Hey, no offense.
Didn't mean to snap at you. I realize that I didn't really get across what I have been theorizing. First, known and measured information from myself and others who have run tests.

1. The stock system is a CAI by any reasonable definition.
2. The stock filter is restrictive.
3. Replacing the stock filter with the K&N improves airflow.
4. Replacing the stock intake with any of the aftermarket intakes shows a performance improvement to some degree. This is increased flow through the filter and/or a smoother air path.

Now for why I said "So" in my prior post.

As we all know, it is hot under the hood of a running car. Therefore, this heat gets transferred to all of the components under the hood. We also know that there is less underhood heat when the car is moving as the moving air under the hood transfers the heat out. We also know that moving air also transfers the heat from the radiator into the enviornment. Thus, while not really considering it, we all know that moving air will transfer heat. How fast moving air will cool a specific item is related to the heat conductivity of the item, flow rate, surface area and temperature difference. The same formulae will also calculate how much the moving air is heated. Check your Thermodynamics text books for details.

Now that you are thinking about moving air and making it warmer, consider the issue we really care about. What is the effect of "heat soak" at WOT? Do we really care about this at 30 mph in traffic or cruising at 70 on the freeway?

Nope, we just want the max power when we stomp on it. As Magnuman and I have measured, the wider the throttle position the cooler the intake temp. At WOT, the air is moving so fast and the volume of air is so great that the air is not going to collect any significant heat from the intake tube's accumulated heat.

Now, as the car moves, outside air begins to move through the underhood area, replacing hot air with cool air, starting at the front of the underhood area, where of course the intake is mounted. In addition, the so called "open systems" are sitting above the stock intake duct which is supplying outside air to the intake also, even if the car is not moving, more so if it is.

"So" my point is that under the only condition that counts, WOT, there is cool air going into the engine. These aftermarket systems improve performance through less restrictive filters and smoother airflow. My theory is that the intake air temp is not an important issue.

Which one is best at WOT, we will have to wait for the "Great CAI face-Off" to see.

By way, to test this theory, Magnuman could just use his starscan for a 1/4 mile run and report the IAT at intervals during the run.

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
Great analysis, done.

Even a Typhoon is a 'cold' air intake ('ambient' air is more like it) under a variety of circumstances ... most notably circumstances other than sitting at a Taco Bell drive thru for five minutes.. Drive the car at any reasonable speed for a few minutes and it cools right down. Is this ideal always? No.

What is ideal under the most varied of circumstances? As done said, wait until the lxforums.com Intake Face Off on the 24th. Come by if you can as its also turning into what appears to be a pretty big Meet & Greet, with people driving from as far as Nebraska to be there (and maybe further). It'll be just one Magnum, one Dyno and every intake kit that matters versus the recorded results, with no room for hiding behind rhetoric or personal preference when the smoke clears.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.