DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't waste your money on exhaust. I took Mad Titan's advice, I just got back from minute muffler and for $40 they took my muffler off and replaced it with a bent straight pipe. The resonator is more than enough, sounds great not to noisy at all!!! Sounds a lot like my buddies 03 running a Raven with no resonator. And I am sure I will get used of the funky sound it makes when the damn TM softens the shift points.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
BOOYAH!!!

Another SATISFIED customer!!!

No denying that your'e driving a truck!!

Keep an eye on your gas mileage and report back to us!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe when I get used of the new sound......I am sure it will be less for awhile. My son LOVES the blahhhhh when it shifts!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
HAHAHA!! My boy too! I always get an "Alright Dad!" on the 1-2 shift.

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
i just took off a magnaflow of my hemi ram, and had the stock muffler, dumped with no resonator, and it sounds great. I wasted 130 bucks for a mag, and my stock muffler dumped sounds alot better!!, if i was into real loud, i would go the way ya'll did, but for me, im happy.

·
Hemi Power
2,017 Posts
Wouldn't the Magnaflow flow much better than the stock muffler?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I used to believe in your guy's method of getting some cheap good sound...

until i realized that without a muffler on your exhaust system, you basically lose a $hitload of low-end torque. This kills your every day city driving. Sure it will benefit your high-end, but how often are you at WOT flying around town? If so, you're probably wasting gas when you originally cut off the muffler to gain performance and mileage.

Not only that, but i used to work on 5.2L jeep grand cherokee engines. We had several cases where snot-nosed little kids ruined mommy and daddy's 30k dollar SUV's by using cut-outs and running without mufflers. Cutouts (although an awesome way to switch from open exhaust to closed) can let in cold air through the exhaust straight back into the manifold, cracking heads and causing damage.

Because of all these reasons, i feel that spending 100+ on a muffler is well worth it. Considering the fact that it costs at LEAST 50 bucks to get your muffler cut off, a straight pipe welded on, or have the resonator cut off and run a dump.

If our ram's were meant to run without an exhaust, they would've come stock at least with some type of open exhaust. Mufflers dont only reduce sound and noise, they give the engine enough backpressure to perform efficiently.

My .02

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
Black05Hemi said:
Wouldn't the Magnaflow flow much better than the stock muffler?
I wouldnt say so, i didnt notice any diffrence, i would have to say i think the stock one flows better.

·
Registered
346 Posts
the catalytic converter applies enough backpressure for the trucks own good...mufflers only dampen sound and clean up emissions...

·
Registered
10 Posts
alloy171 said:
Not only that, but i used to work on 5.2L jeep grand cherokee engines. We had several cases where snot-nosed little kids ruined mommy and daddy's 30k dollar SUV's by using cut-outs and running without mufflers. Cutouts (although an awesome way to switch from open exhaust to closed) can let in cold air through the exhaust straight back into the manifold, cracking heads and causing damage.
I took out the straight pipe right after the two pipes from the cats connect, after the Y-Pipe, and ran it like that for a day for the sweet ass noise. It has no low-end torque so I put it back like stock. Just wondering if this caused any harm at all.

I did call my dealer and they said it wouldn't harm the engine, exhaust or warranty. Just wondering your opinion.

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
it's illegal but saw off your cats replacing them with welded pipe and o2 simulators. Booyahhhhh to you mad titan. :D when it comes to smog which is in 5 years.. pshh weld the damn cats back on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My butt dyno isn't as sensitive as my ears are, so if I have lost low end Tq I haven't noticed. As for loss of backpressure I am not very worried about that. When talking to the boss of the muffler shop and looking at the design of the hemi exhaust ( poor at that, especially the pinch point where the Y pipes join ). He told me that the resonator, which I still have.....just removed the big old muffler, is actualy the same as a magnaflow muffler. Small oval bottle with a perferated straight through pipe. It looks to be the same as the Raven my buddy has on his 03 too.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
I like that idea.... lose the muff and keep the resonator... I wonder how this works for performance w/resonator no muff VS. w/Muffler no res?

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have no clue.
The muffler was 10X easier to remove and it still looks stock.
You have to get on your hands and knees to see my lack of muffler.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Anything on your exhaust system that isnt straight pipe is used as backpressure. So when you say that removing your muffler will not reduce backpressure, you are in the wrong.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
The exhaust tubes on dragsters are CURVED for a reason.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry to bother you, but Mad Titan... I have been following the many posts in regards to removing the muffler and keeping the resonator.

What did you see in MPG gains if any when you did this?

Am I right you lost low-end tq and kept high-end tq or any noticable change at all?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alloy171, I never said it didn't reduce backpressure, but I did say that with the restrictions in the exahust system ( at the "Y", and the six feet of 2 3/4" pipe in the middle of the three inch exhaust, and then the resonator ) there is enough backpressure. The whole purpose of a aftermarket exhasut system is to increase the flow, with any engineering knowledge, you must realize that can not be accomplished this unless you reduce the backpressure.

·
Registered
186 Posts
How would doing what Mad Titan did work on the 4.7? Does it affect your emission requirements? or your warranty?

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
fmdog44 said:
The exhaust tubes on dragsters are CURVED for a reason.
Yeup.... Its for TRACTION!

They create so much force that they turn the pipes at a angle to get foward/downward thrust.... this helps propell and force the frame down at the same time.... As for back pressure.... Its a bad thing and its NEVER GOOD!

You want to increase velocity.... velocity NOT backpressure creates torque.

You chose a tube too large and you lose the velocity .... you choose a tube to small and you gain BACKPRESSURE.... chose a tube inbetween and you WIN velocity.

Velocity does two things... it literally PULLS the spent exhaust gasses from your cylinder when the exhaust valve opens... This is called the scaveging effect.

Because ALL cams have an overlap, both the intake and exhaust valve are open for a short duration at the same time.... this is done for good reason.... The pulse caused by the scaveging effect from a well designed exhaust system promotes an INTAKE charge. As the exhaust gasses are pulled from the cylinder the intake valve is open and the intake pulse is given a BOOST right into your cylinder... this is why/how a good system creates low end torque.

Back pressure is exactly what it says it is.... its a RESTRICTION....

You want your system to promote FLOW... without loosing velocity... the higher the velocity the better your system will work for you. A well built exhaust systems will not only free up horse power...it can make horse power.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.