DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have $1275 to spend on my truck. What would give me the most bang for the buck. I do not want nitrous! Also I am going to be a ass, if you have no clue what your talking about save your breath!

The problem I keep running into is if I go with two of the big mods like Gears and a TQ Converter, I will need traction which means caltracs and drag radials. Not enough money to do both power mods and traction. So looks like I should go with one power and one traction or a variation of smaller mods. Here are a few mods I am thinking about but not sure on the combination that will give me the most!

Gears - I have 3.92 and want 4.56
TQ Converter - Would like somewhere in the 3k to 3.2k range
E-Fan - May go cheap on this one Mark VII fan
Underdrive Pulley - Summit Pulley
Caltracs - SOB's are steep but I know I will eventually need them.
Drag Radials - I know I can pick these up cheap used and will be a great traction mod.
Ported TB - Just a mod I would do because its cheap and improves daily driving.

·
Vroom, psssst
3,055 Posts
I say go e-fan and tq converter. Efan made my truck feel smoother and rev a little quicker. Only thing i dont like about my tq converter is the mileage drop but other than that I love it.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I say go e-fan and tq converter. Efan made my truck feel smoother and rev a little quicker. Only thing i dont like about my tq converter is the mileage drop but other than that I love it.
Mileage is not a big deal to me. I may even be able to go with another mod with that combo I am doing all the work myself.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
might be a stupid question but are the gears or converter something you can install yourself or would you be paying to install them? The main reason I ask is cause that will change the cost of those mods.

The other side of this is that you can get a black magic fan, ported tb, summit pulley, and caltracs for under yours budget.

If you get the Mark VIII fan you might be able to get the gears if you can install them yourself or get a good price on the install.

·
Registered
330 Posts
gears with lsd and caltracs. if you cant float that, gears with lsd and DR

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'll be the first to ask. Why the odd number. Is this your tax return?

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
might be a stupid question but are the gears or converter something you can install yourself or would you be paying to install them? The main reason I ask is cause that will change the cost of those mods.
I will be installing the converter but not the gears.

The other side of this is that you can get a black magic fan, ported tb, summit pulley, and caltracs for under yours budget.
I would definitely go with the Mark VIII fan, the black magic fan is over priced. And I would go with the FK-50 or FK-85 controller, which are expensive.
If you get the Mark VIII fan you might be able to get the gears if you can install them yourself or get a good price on the install.
Answers in red.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gears with lsd and caltracs. if you cant float that, gears with lsd and DR
I already have a factory LSD.

I'll be the first to ask. Why the odd number. Is this your tax return?
My dad is taking my family on a trip to Europe this summer and it will cost around 2k each. I took the cash instead haha and have already spent $725.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well hot damn. Id personally go on the trip myself. Funny story, im actually going to europe this summer. If someone wants to pay for me, hell yea. I'll even set up a paypal account for it. Its comign otu of my wallet though :ugh. Between trucks,europe, and college. Im broke.

What is your intentions for your vehicle. Could always put a lift on it or some tires if your into that sort of thing but it all depends on where your taking your truck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i'd recommend gears and prolly a lsd like said previously. I know you said that you have a factory lsd but the c-clips in those break very easily once you put down decent power I broke 2 of them before I switched to powertrax. If you can find a deal on someone selling gears and the lsd and have extra money add the e-fan. deleting the manual fan adds about 9 rwhp

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well hot damn. Id personally go on the trip myself. Funny story, im actually going to europe this summer. If someone wants to pay for me, hell yea. I'll even set up a paypal account for it. Its comign otu of my wallet though :ugh. Between trucks,europe, and college. Im broke.

What is your intentions for your vehicle. Could always put a lift on it or some tires if your into that sort of thing but it all depends on where your taking your truck.
haha, I just hate traveling.

My intentions for my truck are to built it to run fast. A street-able drag truck.

i'd recommend gears and prolly a lsd like said previously. I know you said that you have a factory lsd but the c-clips in those break very easily once you put down decent power I broke 2 of them before I switched to powertrax. If you can find a deal on someone selling gears and the lsd and have extra money add the e-fan. deleting the manual fan adds about 9 rwhp
I will take my chances on the LSD.

·
Registered
394 Posts
i dont know how your traction is with the cam you just put on, but if your spinning and planning on racing soon then i say caltracs and the radials first.
But if your not planning on that and think traction can wait i would say something like e-fan and gears or if you could go gears and the tq converter. And as far as something like the throttle body you can always send it in and get it done if you have the time for the truck to be down and save some money which could possibly keep you under budget.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right now I am leaning to E-Fan, Gears, and Drag Radials.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Right now I am leaning to E-Fan, Gears, and Drag Radials.
That sounds like a pretty good option, your cam is a mid to top end cam right or is it more low end?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
i say gears no matter what. what have you already spent that 700 on?

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is a mid to top end. So I have lost a little off the stop, gears are a must. I think I will wait on the converter till I find one used.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
i say gears no matter what. what have you already spent that 700 on?
That is how my cam found its new home in my truck and learned how to run right. Such a sweet story haha

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Answers in red.
The FK-50 is all you need. I have been running one on my Viper fan with no issues. I ran it on the high setting for a while but switched to the low since that is more than enough to cool the truck.

Summit Pulley $239 TrickFlow $211 (same thing in black powder coat)
FK-50 $145
TB $235 or $160 if you send your for porting.
Fan $50-$80 at most.
Caltracs $430

$1129 on the high end. Probably get it down to about $1000 depending on the options you pick.

The pulley and fan combo would be nice bang for the buck. The Caltracs would help get it to the ground. The TB may or may not help performance but will not hurt it and does improve the throttle responce.

If you go with the less expensive options that would leave you the $269 you need to get your gears with the install kit so you can have them waiting till you get a couple hundred more for the install.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have made up my mind. Thanks for everyones input.

First: 4.56 Gears
Second: Mark VIII Fan and FK-50 Controller
Third: Drag Radials

Then I will see where I sit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
nice choices, should see a NOTICEABLE difference. 4.56 gears were my best "bolt on" mod of all

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.