DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
chris99
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM 17 and not very good at engine work, and i been seeing on these forums that modding the TB is easy and cheap but get a good performance upgrade. Can someone give me a step by step instructions to do it, maybe even pics :help: Thanks in advance :gr_patrio

·
Registered
203 Posts
search for "throttle body" and you will find a 16+ page post by dodgepickup that tells you everything that you need to know and more!! i can help you out with the blades when you are ready, if you are going larger than 50mm.

·
chris99
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks:)

·
chris99
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i been looking online at throttle body spacers and they seem good but if i just do the mod can i get the same gains out of the engine as i would by buying a new spacer?

·
Registered
203 Posts
to be honest, you probably won't see any gains with a spacer. you will get a gain by porting and polishing your throttle body though.

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
TB spacer is a waste of money. Our intakes have way too much room in them already that is why people fill them with epoxy....

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
point taken, no arguments here.

·
chris99
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i basically just port the whole TB? and what do u mean by filling it up with epoxy? :help::help:

·
Registered
203 Posts
did you have a chance to read the thread that i pointed you at? anyway - the epoxy reference is for the intake manifold. some guys and gals on here have chosen to mod their stock one instead of spending a bunch of $$$ on an aftermarket manifold. the epoxy goes in the manifold to reduce the air volume in the manifold to increase flow. there is a thread on that too, somewhere.

as for the throttle body, if you have never done one before, it would probably be a good idea to grab one from a junk yard to work on - i wasted 4 trying to get the whole procedure down. basically, a stock throttle body has 2 50mm blades, but the bore chokes down to 48mm, you can start by honing out the bore to 50mm without touching the blades and see a decent gain in flow, or you can totally pull it apart, bore it out to 52 or 53mm, get new blades and put it back together. this is tricky b/c you need to have a air tight seal between blades and bore, or the idle will get messed up. dodgepickup outlines his process in the thread he started, and its a really great guide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Today I cut the air horns off of my TB and since I am not a machinist I did not do anything with the bores for the blades. But to be honest just cutting off the air horns was a waste of time (2 hrs) as i did not notice any differance in performance.

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
Cutting the horns down will only show minor changes on the dino and that is if you polish the hell out of it in the process, to get the full effect more work is required like polishing the throat of the TB as well as opening it up...

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
if your not comfortable doing it yourself dodgepickup can do it for you for a really good price

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I'd say that if you have to mess ith the throat of the tb unless you are machinist minded i'd just buy one from fastman or hughes, because I am not a machinist just a mechanic and taking measurements isn't my strong spot lol.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i'll have an extra 53mm tb next week if you are interested.

·
chris99
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea that be great just tell me the price and i'll see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.