DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i purchased an '07 ram 1500 w/hemi 5.7 in May, and i have had a flowmaster super 44 side exit, and a drop in K&N airfilter. I want to know what modifications can i make to increase torque, horsepower, and acceleration without voiding my warranty? I have been told that a tuner or chip will void it, and possibly spark pluggs? Lets hear what everyone has to say?

Thanks,
Glen

Attachments

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
First off, I would get rid of the FM44. FlowMasters techs have aid the 40/44 don't flow enough for the 5.7 and you should only use their 50 series Hemi Specific muffler. Voiding the warranty with sparkplugs is total BS.

I have a Super Chip programmer and have had my rear end rebuilt and put together back under warranty. Plus I am lowered and have other mods. Its all subjective to the local dealer. They technically have to prove an aftermarket item caused a failure to void that part of the warranty. And it's just that part that can be voided. If you change the exhaust and they say it caused a failure, they can only void the exhaust part of the warranty. Everything else still is covered, etc etc.

KB

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
judging by your post count i would have to say this is probably your first 3 gen truck. next i have to say that it looks good. and are you in AZ? if so you need to see about attending our GTG's they are a blast. if your here in az you need to be careful about the dealers. there are some that have done alot of voiding of warretys here lately. i can go into detail if needed. but i will have to refer you to the guy it happened too.

·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey i actually located in Mesa, and yes its my first 3rd gen. I purchased from Performace Dodge, and the closest dealership is Earnhardt. Im sure earnhardt could be a pain, but i dunno. Where would you suggest i go to? What tuner? If you provide the info i would like to attend a GTG, although i am not sure what that is? Thanks for your input.

-Glen

·
PROJECT SRT-345
1,480 Posts
An 07, with 02-05 wheels??? Looks pretty nice!

Welcome to the board!

·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks i actually picked them up fore free. I dunno if you have ever been on craigslist.com, but there was a guy on there that had just replaced the tires on them and he was trading in his rumble bee for a diesel. and rather give those wheels to the dealership he put out a post to trade fro stock dodge Wheels and tires so quick and easy upgrade to 20's :) I figure about $800 bucks for all 5 tires (the spare too) and then at least $800 for the wheels. I got the better end!

·
Registered
181 Posts
nice truck! welcome. i too have checked into mods and my warranty so far my homemade CAI and a power wire from AIR RAM have not caused a problem they did ask me why i chose to use 4 inch sewer pipe i said cus' i am to cheep to spend 250 for a more restrictive cai such as k&n. my exhaust is also customized i took out the factory union and put in a much more free flowing Y into a SI/DO flow master 40 series. Oh i have a 4.7 couldnt afford the 3k hemi option...... but i have 1 hemi kill

·
morgan1488
231 Posts
warranty i dont even rember what that is lol....but y not headers or tuner with the tuner u can just reprogram back 2 stock whenever you take it in

·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told that on the new ram trucks that the dealership can scan the computer and find any alterations, and therefore they can void my warranty for those modifications. Thats why im being cautious about what i do to the truck.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
they used to say that when i got my truck too. i call bs on the dealerships part. their trying to scare you out of modding.

·
SupermaXX Hemi
840 Posts
THE BEST POSSIBLE MOD YOU CAN PUT ON YOUR TRUCK IS 4.56 GEARS. I just put mine on yesterday and I was a skeptic but now since I have had them on for 250 miles I am in love. Trust me man they are the best and you get better to the same gas milage if you can stay under 70. I run 2250rpm at 70 with 285 70 17 all I can say is these are the best mod I wish I would have done this first. I have a 4x4 and got motive gears and instal for 1000 dollars.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Overall one trick pony mod is headers, not shorties[or torque tubes], Long travel collectors ideally with an X, buy a trunked Y can work well too. yeah I know shoehornin em in is a trip, but they're headers[alittle pain with your pleasure., no?].
Gears will help put rubber to the road for sure, and it's a feel good as you can burn the petrol to crush friends in to their seats. Pulling the pumkin and not adding a quality traction aide is a bit of a waste though[it''s already in pieces].
Ok crude is coughed out much better, and tires are chirping on the roads, so time to feed. Time to ram air down its throat, and off the shelf wise you can't go wrong with vararam's intake. It's a true cold air ram, if you like to play over 40mph it will play along and play better the faster you go.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I have a 05 regcab SB 4X2 with 3.92 LSD rear and 20s
I have Pacesetter Mids--Aeroturbine exhaust and SC Hi Performance tune
180 thermo

I screech the hell out of it from a dead stop no power breaking and have to ease in or I fish tail
I chirp 2nd all the time from a wide open launch

You have a great lookin truck (and homestead )

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
KB112 pretty much summed it up. The dealership must prove the item they are voiding, failed due to the mod.

Austere Bear, posted a good link for the easy read on it. If you want the full, legal (kinda hard reading) version the law is....
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act: US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312.

Austere Bear said:
.......They really do push the "Well it's a mopar performance part and is under warranty"........
Yeah they say that until you go in for service. I had a rattle in the right front of my truck. I knew exactly what it was (something hitting the shield behind the rotor), but I figured I'd let them take care of it, it's under warranty after all. Anyway, I dropped it off and went to work. They called my wife, and told her the rattle they hear is made by aftermarket parts. She asked "what aftermarket parts?" They said the chrome fuel door, and the step bars. She said aftermarket my butt, those were on there from the factory. They tried to tell her she was wrong, so she called me so I could straighten it out.
I asked the service guy if it's aftermarket, what does he think that logo on the step pad is. :crazy: Freaking moron. Then he said, "well it was added after purchase, so it counts as aftermarket, and all we can do is take it off for you". I told him to leave my truck alone, because he clearly doesn't know what he's doing. I still have my window sticker that lists them on the truck. Man that pissed me off. And the kicker is, that those two items weren't even rattling. So not only did he have his info wrong, he misdiagnosed the noise. Needless to say I complained to the store manager, and cleared the rattle from the shield myself.

Anyway. Long story short, I wouldn't buy Mopar accessories just for warranty reasons. And not that any of you would, because you don't live in N.E. Ohio, but I wouldn't got to Klaben Dodge for service. I'll stick with my aftermarket mods, and the dealership I bought the truck from (Courtesy Dodge), for my service.

PS Glen, nice looking truck, welcome to Dodgetalk, and a GTG, is a get together.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot. I had a K&N CAI, and Dynomax exhaust on my '05. The IAC went bad, and the dealership (Courtesy Dodge) didn't even bat an eye. It really does matter what dealership you go to. Magnuson Moss will protect you, but it's just easier to find a dealer that won't make you fight for service.

·
Too much violence
3,892 Posts
The Magnuson-Moss Act contains many definitions:

* A "consumer" is a buyer of consumer goods for personal use. A buyer of consumer products for resale is not a consumer.
* A "supplier" is any person engaged in the business of making a consumer product directly or indirectly available to consumers.
* A "warrantor" is any supplier or other person who gives or offers a written warranty or who has some obligation under an implied warranty.
* A "consumer product" is generally any tangible personal property for sale and that is normally used for personal, family, or household purposes. It is important to note that the determination whether a good is a consumer product requires a factual finding, on a case-by-case basis. Najran Co. for General Contracting and Trading v. Fleetwood Enterprises, Inc., 659 F. Supp. 1081 (S.D. Ga. 1986).
* A "written warranty" is any written promise made in connection with the sale of a consumer product by a supplier to a consumer that relates to the material and/or workmanship and that affirms that the product is defect-free or will meet a certain standard of performance over a specified time.
* An "implied warranty" is one that is defined in state law. The Magnuson-Moss Act simply provides limitations on disclaimers and provides a remedy for their violation.
* A "full warranty" is one that meets the federal minimum standards for a warranty. Such warranties must be "conspicuously designated" as full warranties.
* A "limited warranty" is one that does not meet the federal minimums. Such warranties must be "conspicuously designated" as limited warranties.
* A "service contract" is different from a warranty because service contracts do not affirm the quality or workmanship of a consumer product. A service contract is a written instrument in which a supplier agrees to perform, over a fixed period of time or for a specified duration, services relating to the maintenance or repair, or both, of a consumer product. Agreements that meet the statutory definition of service contracts, but are sold and regulated under state law as contracts of insurance, do not come under the Act's provisions.

·
Too much violence
3,892 Posts
Welcome to DT.

Did you choose to go with the 03 - 05 stock 20" rims instead of 07 stock 20's?

Anyway - I like the look.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
Refer to post #6 Bo. :) He got them free off craigslist.com from a guy who was trading in a Rumble Bee.
It was all about the price.

·
RamATC
291 Posts
nice lookin truck man! keep up the mods!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.