DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after many photoshops and concepts to make the taillights a bit more aggressive looking, i settled on the idea of blacking out the chrome in the taillight area. By blacking out only the areas where the light doesn't reflect, I kept it legal.
Let me just first say 2 things, if you try this mod I am NOT responsible for damage to your car.
and second of all.. if I had to rate this mod on the "pain in the ass" scale from 1 to 10, I'd give it a 15. :grum:

Step one, was taking out the tails which was easy. 2 screws and 1 stopper for each tail

Step two.. big pain, was to place each tail in the oven at 200 degrees for 5 min to loosen the silicon sealant. Once taken out of the oven, I pryed the lens apart from the housing. Let me just re-iterate what an incredible pain in the ass this was, considering Dodge didn't even use silicon for the tails, but some sort of hard glue, however it still worked.

Step Three... masked out the non paint areas and sand down the chrome

Step Four... Painted with Duplicolor matte black High Heat 1200 degree spray paint, 3 coats with 10 minute intervals

Step Five... Let them dry and have a beer, you'll need it for whats coming.

Step Six... Remove the masking tape and apply RTV silicone sealant to the edges and put the lens back. You need to clamp the lights together for 24 hours, so what I did is use clear packing tape at the edges and closed it tight. Remove the tape the next day and voila.

I'm very happy with the results. The pics don't really do justice, it really looks great in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Agree on the pain in the A$$ part! Same issue when I did the headlights on my Rango! Looks good!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to do the headlights as well, until I discovered removing them requires removing the front bumper and the grille... yikes!

·
Infinite Lives
6,499 Posts
Nice job :) It must be the same glue(Rubber Sealant) they used on the 06 heads.It doesn't melt, it just releases the pieces.Looks very good :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
WOW, I can't believe what a difference that made. LOOKS GREAT! nice job

·
Registered
184 Posts
that looks great.. Too bad I suck at painting :(.. So I will wait until some aftermarkets..

Again, nice write up and that really looks great.

·
Buy American
509 Posts
:gr_patrio
Looks real good on a black car.

Plus, you get a real 'at-a-boy' for painting that ugly muffler! :cheerl::dwave:
:drivingz:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I know what you're referring to, it's actually part of the exhaust system (looks like a tank) and yep.. painted that black as well. It was sticking out like a sore thumb with the aluminum color.

·
Registered
440 Posts
stealthsxt said:
I think I know what you're referring to, it's actually part of the exhaust system (looks like a tank) and yep.. painted that black as well. It was sticking out like a sore thumb with the aluminum color.
Most do think it's the gas tank. Strange how they made it so large. Must be a good reason,I'd like to know why.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize that was part of the exhaust, it looks like a gas tank. We have only had my wifes for 3 weeks and with the cold and snow I hadn't looked under there yet. Look's like I know what I'll be doing in the spring! Did you use a high temp spray paint?

Borrowed this picture from another thread... Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing. I circled the part I thought was the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes you definitely need high heat paint, I used Duplicolor matte black High Heat 1200 degree spray paint, got it from Kragen's Auto parts. It stays on very nicely after 2 or more coats. Very easy mod and the rear looks MUCH better

·
Registered
440 Posts
stealthsxt said:
Yes you definitely need high heat paint, I used Duplicolor matte black High Heat 1200 degree spray paint, got it from Kragen's Auto parts. It stays on very nicely after 2 or more coats. Very easy mod and the rear looks MUCH better
I bought some spray for outdoor barbecue's at Pepboys. I think it's Krylon. I used it on louver for my Dodge Daytona. I believe it's good for high temps. Or they used to the stuff you spray on manafolds I used to see.

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,089 Posts
Looks great!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.