DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 05 dak quad cab 4X4. I just installed a throttle body spacer and a cold air intake and now am looking to put some more stuff in to increase horse power and over all performance. I have started to tune up my truck as well i bought the autolights 3923. I was thinking about putting on an exhaust system or maybe getting some Ignition upgrades.

What would y'all do?

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
Exhaust is the next logical upgrade. Many options there but it depends on your budget.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was thinking about a dual same side exhaust. Any thing you recommends.

would i see a big difference if i had a true x exhaust?

·
Registered
196 Posts
From what I've hear it's not that much of a gain instead of a 3 inch singel. See if any local shops offer a custom exhaust for cheap. You'll make out beter that way.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
DON't do a 3" single, you'll never need that much. It actually hurts you because the exhaust has time to cool in the pipe and it will create backpressure. A 2.5 inch single is fine, or even a 2.25 dual. But my suggestion is to get a pair of JBA shorty headers, high flow cats, a new Y-pipe, and then a cutout then leave the rest sotck. Loud when you want it and quiet the rest of the time with the push of a button.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to the JBA site and it didn't list that as a header for my truck it pulled up
Cat4ward® Headers.

And i was looking more toward dual exhaust with new headers.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
go to www.airram.com, they should have them in stock. If your looking for a true dual setup, I recommend you get the JBA shorty Headers, Magnaflow High flow cats, 2.25 inch piping, magnaflow x-pipe, and whatever muffler you want (Magnaflow I reccommend), and then out the back. I have side exit 3" single with a flomaster and it drones horribly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've red some where that installing a true dual exhaust on a stock single exhaust isn't street legal.

If that isn't true would i see a big difference from doing a single to two pipe exit or is it really worth the extra money do to a true exhaust.

And Would it be cheaper to go to the part store and by pipes and make them my self?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
you can get a kit like I did. my tuner sugg. 3" from y-pipe all the way back, and the stock 05-07 exhaust manifolds flow well, good enough to not justify 500$ on a set of headers. also coffee can cats have decent flow too. I had krc send me a gibson 3" cat back, from y to muffler and out the rear. before axel dump has alot more drone. and a single in duel out will hurt tq. as the exhaust will "fight each other on exit". the gibson cat back kit was real easy to install. then go to a custom shop and have a y-pipe fabed up, w/ mandrel bends,from the cats back. the stock has alot of restriction. unless you plan on building a full blown race truck, the money you spend on a good set of headers you could put to better use, such as a tuner,cams,gears,tq converter,etc.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
yes it would be cheaper to do yourself if you are able. Yes it is better for power to have true duals but not by much. Really, a "fake" dual setup is just about useless. And I've never heard of it being illegal

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
yes it would be cheaper to do yourself if you are able. Yes it is better for power to have true duals but not by much. Really, a "fake" dual setup is just about useless. And I've never heard of it being illegal
x2

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
In my opinion and experience the 4.7L LOVES a 2.25"D in/3.0"S out High Flow "Y" into a High Flow 3" Cat and High Flow through 3" Single in/out Muffler. This set up would be great up to 300RWHP... If your making more then 300RWHP then going to a 2.50"Din/3.00"S out up to 350RWHP... Above that I would be looking at true Dual 2.5" with an "X" pipe.

But make no mistake, the 4.7L will perform real well and make great low end torque with a single 3" exhaust sytem.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
I own a 05 dak quad cab 4X4. I just installed a throttle body spacer and a cold air intake and now am looking to put some more stuff in to increase horse power and over all performance. I have started to tune up my truck as well i bought the autolights 3923. I was thinking about putting on an exhaust system or maybe getting some Ignition upgrades.

What would y'all do?

Here is a list of mods that would gain you the most bolt on HP without going into the engine.

1. ELECTRIC FAN - FLEX-A-LITE 180 FREE = 10RWHP ... You have a factory electic fan which will keep everything cool even without the cutch fan.
2. RACE PORTED HEADS -
3. 206 or 212 Cams - Im a fan of the factory H/O cams in HEAVY trucks or trucks that will be used for work or on the road
4. 72MM THROTTLE BODY - F&B
5. 2008 INTAKE MANIFOLD or our SULLIVAN ALUMINUM INTAKE MANIFOLD -
6. SCT CUSTOM TUNE -
7. HEADERS -
8. SINGLE 3" EXHAUST -
9. HIGH FLOW "Y" PIPE & MUFFLER
10. 4.56 GEARS - depending on your tire height 410's/4.56's. Personally if your tire hight is taller then 30" tall I would lean towards 4.56's.
11. 2800 STALL CONVERTER -

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nick, isn't 2800 stall a bit too much for a 4.7 street machine? I was told 2400 - 2600 is best on a 4.7 and anything over 2600 would tend to overheat the trans. I'm guessing you have a 2800 stall on your Ram. How does it do on the street and would that much stall be necessary on a lighter Dakota? How does more stall affect towing? Did you go with an after market trans cooler? Isn't factory stall around 1800? Lot of Q's I know. A stall converter is something I've been thinking about and still kind of trying to understand.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Nick, isn't 2800 stall a bit too much for a 4.7 street machine? I was told 2400 - 2600 is best on a 4.7 and anything over 2600 would tend to overheat the trans. I'm guessing you have a 2800 stall on your Ram. How does it do on the street and would that much stall be necessary on a lighter Dakota? How does more stall affect towing? Did you go with an after market trans cooler? Isn't factory stall around 1800? Lot of Q's I know. A stall converter is something I've been thinking about and still kind of trying to understand.
Im running a 2800 stall and honestly I have NO problems what so ever on the street. When I step up to a new Edge Stall it will be a 3000 stall. I feel I can still run a 3000 stall without any heat issues. Since I have 4.56's it shifts & locks into overdrive at 35MPH under a light foot... And it really never flashes/stalls unless I put my foot to the floor. Other then that, when I drive part throttle it like normal and you really never notice its anything but stock.

Im sure it would warm up when towing though... so Im not sure its a great idea if you tow alot of weight.

For street strip use I would recomend between 2800-3000 stall.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Banned
897 Posts
the 3000 added about 5 degrees average to my tranny temp
(aeroforce gauge)

but if you're that paranoid, a larger tranny cooler swap isnt hard

but that 3000 stall is well well worth it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.