DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2013 Sport
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a conversation about motor oils with a couple guys on my shift the other night, a few had mentioned Royal Purple as being the better alternative for longevity and performance. I have used Mobil 1 synthetic since 60,000 miles (now 130,000). Any opinions? I don't like fixing what ain't broke, but if it's really that good......

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
Your about to open a big can of worms here.

I personally don't care for the purple stuff. If your deciding between those two, I would stick with the Mobile1 fully synthetic. I use Amsoil in my vehicles and have for a long time. I had it in my 4.7L Dakota and drove it very very hard changed it every 12-15k miles. That truck still ran like new when I traded her in with 110k miles.

·
2013 Sport
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...That's exactly what I'm thinking. I Googled the whole thing, and of course the data for and against is wide-ranging and confusing. Just didn't know if anyone had some actual experience, good or bad, to avidly support such an argument. I'm with you personally, I like Mobil 1. Never heard of Royal Purple before our conversation the other night at work.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
I used to use Mobile1. Now I use Amsoil, it's the best, IMO.

·
2013 Sport
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I have heard that is a damn good oil. Most of my buds with diesels run it.

·
HC-Racing,LLC
1,841 Posts
I like mobil 1 0w40
castrol 0w30 {german**

and Shell Rotella T 5w40 in old school stuff for full synthetic, and kendall 20w50 in some cases..

there are a ton of opinions on here, but Id stick with the mobil since you've ran it so far........

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Amsoil here too. Ken at Modern Oils will hook you up! I also use their filters as well. 25k or once a year, it saves money in the long run. Royal Purple is good for flat tappet cams, which you dont have. It's loaded with Zinc, Phosphorous, Moly, which is high enough in anti-wear additives to protect the flat tappet cam which recieve only splash lubrication,(Vintage V-8's B/RB 340's LA 318's till 1985 LA 360 till 88-89), this is it's advantage. On modern MoPar engines 4.7 SOHC, 5.7 Hemi and all Magnum V-8s this additive is not necessary), MoPar perf. recommends Mobil-1 Synthetic which is the factory fill for the Viper, and All SRT vehicles.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hell it's all good oil. You can't go wrong with a name brand, quality oil changed frequently with a good filter. I use TropArt 5w-30 syn blend because it pours down to -38F, I got three cases on sale ($1.99 a quart!!), and I can get it in town. (small town in MN). I run NAPA NASCAR filters because I can get em at NAPA in town for like $3.50 each for the PH8A (extra capacity for us Dodge owners) size. Is there better oil out there? Absolutely. Better filters? Damn right. Does it matter? Not much. Hell, my Daddy ran a 1981 Dodge 1BBL Slant Six to around 200K with straight 30W and 20w50 Castrol with Fram filters. I ran two 2.5L Dodge four bangers with NAPA 5w-30 and whatever filters were on sale (usually Autozone house brand) to about 150K each. All vehicles were running great when sold. If you use the best oil and filters, change them often, drive reasonably, and keep up with the rest of your maintenance, your motor will run without much wear far longer than you will want the vehicle it's in, and you will spend about three times more on each oil change. Other stuff will go bad and drive you to the point of insanity well before you wear out your main bearings. People do get pretty OCD about this stuff. I did ALOT of reading before I reached the above conclusion. You've gotta find "good enough" rather than "the best money can buy".

·
HC-Racing,LLC
1,841 Posts
For a daly driver, I couldnt have said it ANY better at all...

Just MAINTAIN your vehicles fluids , you know?

Thats what causes most of the issues, not the brands..

·
Premium Member
27,633 Posts
I've used Mobil 1 and AMSOIL in my Viper & also have used both in my Ram = both brands do a great job. I suspect you would have to go out of your way to find a bad synthetic oil nowadays which is good news.

Check fluid levels in engine and air pressure in tires often and you'll have a happy vehicle. :D

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
I've run RP in my 70 Road Runner since I bought it

before that, I had it in my 98 Ram

before that I used Red Line, but all the others mentioned here are top shelf and like it has been said already, you won't go wrong either way IMHO

·
2013 Sport
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good stuff. Thanks V6Ram, good reading. I change my Mobil 1 oil and filter in my truck every 5,000 miles faithfully. Threetwos, never knew all that about Purple. Never even heard of it til the other day.

·
HC-Racing,LLC
1,841 Posts
if you have the option locally, MOTUL is an awesome synthetic, just generally not available everywhere..{most motorcycle shops will have it**

used to use it in the vw and porsche engine I built..

·
Registered
759 Posts
Rp Or Amsoil They Are Both Great Products, I Have Used Both Of Them, Im Using Rp Now And Very Pleased. Dont Go To Mobil 1 They Have Been Cutting Corners For A While, Used To Be A Leading Synthetic But Nothing Close To The Top 3 Synthetics Now!

What Ever Way You Go, Just Believe In The Product, Run Quality Filters And Do The Oil Recomended Maintance And Your Good. You Will Save $ No Matter How You Do It.

·
pjdhill
168 Posts
I use Castrol 5-30 synthetic though someone on this form once posted that Castrol is not a 'true' synthetic - with no explaination why. What are the top 3 synthetics?
pj

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.