DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil to mobil 1 extended performance, with a 15,000 mile or 1 year change interval. I'm also using the mobil one oil filter, do I use the same filter for the same duration? I know amsoil recommends changing the filter at 6 month intervals.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I always change the filter when I change the oil every 5000 miles. I want a clean filter with my clean oil. I use the Amsoil SDF-15 filters and I will always change at that interval. I cannot see why the companies say keep the dirty filter in when you change the oil. Makes no sense to me. And yes, that is an oversized filter. I use them because I like the extra filtering media and the extra amount of oil that must be used. :cool:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Dman98 said:
I changed the oil to mobil 1 extended performance, with a 15,000 mile or 1 year change interval. I'm also using the mobil one oil filter, do I use the same filter for the same duration? I know amsoil recommends changing the filter at 6 month intervals.
I would probably change out the filter at half. All oil will last longer if it has a clean filter. My great uncle races sprint cars and he'll change the filter every week and the oil every other week, worked perfectly that way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I run the Amsoil dual filtration system on my 2001 Powerstroke and they reccomend to change the filters every 5k miles. The oil is sent for analysis and they tell you if everything is ok.

Scott

·
Banned
112 Posts
Dman98 said:

Dman98,

Just bought some Mobil 1 for my 51,000 mile servie in a couple of weeks. I use the 5W-30W version. For your prefered/chosen oil I wouldn't use it that long even if it was Mobil 1. In fact regardless of the brand I wouldn't risk it at all! Personally if you must wait that long change it at least every 6000 miles. That way you can split the difference and it might save you some headache later on IF you runinto trouble and have to prove to someone that your were using a highquality oil. Getting back to myself I change mine every 3000 miles dispite the performance of the Mobil 1 since I do allot of street driving and very little highway driving.

Your choice,

rimfire,22 :)

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
Well there's allot of research out there that shows that there's less wear after your oil gets some age on it... But if I was going to run my oil for 15,000, I think I'd change the filter half way through and send an oil sample to blackstone labs (or similar place) for analysis at least the first time through, to make sure the engine is being protected.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Older oil less wear?

Loanshark,

HUMMMMM? Old and dirtyier oil performs better than newer? I'd like to read that article.

rimfire,22 :confused:

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
Well rimfire, I'm always ready to put my money where my mouth is. If you wanna bet I'll take your money.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

If you read the whole web page you'll see that Ford motor company and many others came to that same conclusion. That being after oil is in an engine for a while it causes less wear (providing there is active additive left in the oil).

Old and discolored doesn't necessarily mean dirty.

·
Banned
112 Posts
loanshark said:
Well rimfire, I'm always ready to put my money where my mouth is. If you wanna bet I'll take your money.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

If you read the whole web page you'll see that Ford motor company and many others came to that same conclusion. That being after oil is in an engine for a while it causes less wear (providing there is active additive left in the oil).

Old and discolored doesn't necessarily mean dirty.
loan shark,

No wonder why they call you a "loansharK". :) Thanks for the info. Let me read it. Thanks.

rimfire,22

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
has anyone referred this question to the Bobistheoilguy forum?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.