DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out my latest project... I nixed the idea of a convertible in favor of what you see here. The truck started out life as a perpetually muddy run-of-the-mill 1989 Dodge Dakota. Now, the cab is from a 1995 Dakota, the bed is shortened but was originally from a 1996 Dakota, the new V8 (which will replace the tired V6 as soon as I get the monster back from Line-X) only has 62K miles and is from a 1992 Dakota and the frame is about the only piece of 1989 Dakota left. I just delivered the truck to Line-X yesterday to have the entire interior sprayed with a protective coating that will ensure years of fun. The truck isn't perfect, but it's perfect for its intended use. I'll post more pictures when all is finished... Oh... I put the lettering on the tailgate before I sprayed the clear-coat. So, it's not coming off.

Attachments

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Man that is really unique! I like the unibody look!!

·
What a ride...
1,215 Posts
Sounds like that is gonna be one cool little truck.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bfowkes, your signiture reminds me... Waiting in the wings, I have two 10" JLAudio W2 wooffers and two 5.25" JL TR Coaxials driven by a 4300 JL amp for the rear seat area, and two 6.5" JL TR Components driven by a 2150 JL amp for the doors. All this just to allow me to hear music over the sound of my muffler-less exhaust.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Gen-1+

Sharp
Did you ad to the box or move it up to the cab.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I moved the cab back one inch, because of some tire clearance issues I had before the conversion, but then I cut 19 inches off the front of the bed. I added a drip rail after removing the rear window pinch weld, hammering it flat and welding it. The main problem area was the floor. I'm just glad I had the 3" body lift, otherwise I would have had to leave the back seat at bed level because of the gas tank.

It'll all work, but I need to make a substantial roll bar before I go off-roading. The stresses would be sure to mangle my bodywork without it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sweet truck!, The body work looks really clean

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'll take some more pictures with tomorrow's light and try to get them uploaded asap... But I've run into a snag. I thought all the bases were covered with the engine swap, but I missed one. The Crankshaft Position Sensor. My '89 3.9 V6 didn't have a clue what a CPS might be. Therefore, my flywheel (yes, 5-speed manual) won't work on the '92 5.2 V8. Front end work has halted until I can get my grubby hands on a stinkin' flywheel. But here's the Really bad news... I can't get a new one from: Napa, Advance Auto, O'Reilley's, Autozone or Carquest. They don't have a listing for such an animal. So, Does anyone have one lying around???

Here's the want ad url if you might happen to have one:
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59917

·
Registered
476 Posts
that really sucks, try calling some of the local junkyards and see if they have any 5spd dakotas layin around

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've looked in some of the junkyards, but most were closed by noon on Saturday. Better believe they're getting called today.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In case anyone has an old flywheel laying around, the Chrysler part number for the flywheel is: 53020583AB. However, this probably won't match the casting numbers in any way... So it may not help:(

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Flywheel Update: Found one for $50 from a junkyard 45 minutes up the road... It's resting nicely in the bed of my truck. As soon as I get off work, it'll be bolted to the motor and the motor will be dropped in...

Thank those you who went through the trouble to check your "inventory." I appreciate the help!

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
Looks like you built right off of the bed pannels. Nice job!

·
Registered
476 Posts
glad to here you found a flywheel, Lets see some pics once you get the motor in!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I like to see some good ingenuity now and then! Way to go on the project! I dig it! :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bad news... the Flywheel I bought happens to be too large for my setup. It must be a 143 tooth flywheel instead of the 130 I apparantly need. Wow, what an education I'm getting! Anyway, the search continues.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.