DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Ram 2500 full size conversion van with a 318 engine.When the van reaches it operating temperature and has been driven for a hour or so like on a long trip.When you slow down to a speed of 40 to 45 mph it has a missing problem just between the speeds of 40 to 45 mph.It runs just fine at any other speeds.I have put a new speed sensor on the transmission and that has not helped the problem.Please help with any suggestions. :help:

· Do It In A Van
8,067 Posts
When was the last tune-up? Could be that the coil is starting to breakdown after it gets hot or the plug wires are cross-firing.

Also, right around that speed is when the overdrive starts to kick in. It could be that the transmission is cycling in and out of OD which would feel like a miss or jerk.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
missing problem

Thanks for the reply.I had the Van tuned-up at 53,000 with new wire's and plugs didn't do anything else to it,I have 100k on it now.I have had a OBD II Analyzer on the engine and it gave no indication of any bad wires or throwing any codes.I have not looked at the coil yet.I'll try that and see if thats the problem.Thanks for the imformation.

· Registered
218 Posts
Not sure if the coil is the problem but if there is and EGR on that model it could be getting hanged up and when you come to slower speed it will hang up allowing to much carbon in the intake causing it to spit and spurter

· Do It In A Van
8,067 Posts
If the cap and rotor wasn't replaced at the 53K interval then it's time for those to be replaced....heck w/almost 50K on your original tune-up replacing the plugs and wires again wouldn't be a bad idea either. At 100K it would also be a good idea to clean the throttle body. Buy a can or two of throttle body cleaner, pull the throttle body off the intake and using and old toothbrush or other soft brush scrub the throttle plates, the "barrels", and remove the IAC motor and clean the air ports and the IAC motor itself. This will remove any carbon or dirt deposits that may have accumulated over the years. Then simply install a new TB gasket and bolt the TB back down to the intake. Oh almost forgot, replace the PCV valve and crankcase breather as well.

When did this problem start occuring?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
missing problem

This problem started after I had the transmission rebuilt.I have since taken it back to the transmission shop and had their mechanic ride with me when it was acting up.The mechanic had a scan tool hooked to it and it showed no problem with the transmission when it acted up.He told me he felt it was something to do with way the engine was running that was causing the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.