DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.2L 318 for about two years now and for the past month i have had a misfire that i cannot for the life of me fix. When i first got the check engine light I ran the scanner to find out that there was a random misfire on cylinders 7 and 3. Since then i have replaced all plugs and wires as well as ignition coil. I blew the engine up in the truck when i bought it so when i swapped out for a new one i put a brand new distributor on it. I use this truck as my daily driver and don't want anything to happen to it nor do I want to do another engine swap. If anyone knows what this could be please help!! Could it be fuel?? im not tech savy when it comes to cars im learning as i go.I could use all the help i can get!!

·
Red Trucker
2,286 Posts
1. Was the distributor correctly placed upon replacement? Magnum engines the distributor doesn't control timing, the ECM does.
2. Have you checked your injectors and/or run a compression test? Injectors are the last part of a misfire equation and a compression test will tell you if those cylinders are good like the rest or if there's an underlying problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked plenum gasket and it’s good. Replaced cap and rotor and the light went away for two hundred miles... pulling out of my college campus on Friday getting up to speed on a 50mph road without a traffic light, we’ll the check engine popped back up. I was giving her the beans a bit but the light is back. I’m assuming checking the injectors would be the next step any other things I can check?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sprayed braklien all over it while engine was running. Engine didn’t patter or die on me so I know that is makes for a good seal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts