DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i recently got a 98 dodge ram which ran fine. I changed the spark plugs to the autolights that you guys recommend. While doing them i also replaced the spark plug wires. when i was done the drug got a CEL for misfire in cylndr #1. What is that from? I rechecked the wires, and it doesnt appear that i mixed any up. Do i need a new cap and rotor too? should i go back to stock plugs? Does anyone have that diagram as to where the wires go to make sure i have the right diagram. Sorry but I just want to get this thing running good again.

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Take out #1 plug and see if you cracked it when you put it in. Also recheck the plug wire connections (seated?).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does anyone have that picture that shows u the plug numbers and where the wires go on the cap? i use to have a copy saved on my computer.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
did you gap the plugs ? new cap/rotor is a good idea . re-route wires to T.S.B linked up there ^^^^^^

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is cap and rotor a pretty easy thing to do? I have never done one before but am willing to figure it out. I will try and pull the #1 spark plug and see how it looks. No i did not gap the plugs, i just bought them and threw them in.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
is cap and rotor a pretty easy thing to do? I have never done one before but am willing to figure it out. I will try and pull the #1 spark plug and see how it looks. No i did not gap the plugs, i just bought them and threw them in.
you will need to pull your plugs (engine cold) and gap them to .040 . cap and rotor is not hard . get a good set with brass terminals . on the cap will be the #1 for #1 wire/cylinder and follow the pic ^^^^^ up there .

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
Make sure you do not break off one of the bolts holding the distributor cap on, like this other idiot I know....

Remove the intake tube and filter housing it will make things easier to get to, I found it easier to make up the cap and wires off of the truck then drop the octopus in place and route the wires IAW the TSB.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To gap the plugs, just bend the metal tip so it is the appropriate distance? I will see if the auto parts store has whatever i need to gap the plugs, i have never done that either, so its time to learn some new things. Do you think not gapping them when i put them in would cause the misfire CEL?

DODGEPICKUP, thanks for posting that picture, thats exactly what i was looking for.

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
I don't think the gap issue alone would cause that, but it is a good thing to do, when I changed mine about a week and a half ago they were burned to 80 thousands, suppose to be at 40. Any parts store will sell a gap tool they are normally up on the counter, just a little round piece of metal with a sloping lip that is marked off for gapping.

·
An Army of One
1,227 Posts
and get rid of those Ford spark plugs.

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
moe in wichita ks
do your self a favor and plug the vent on the cap, use j-b weld it keeps the moisture out. been doing a LONG time with out trouble. and change to a new one every fall, will save trouble later on

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
To gap the plugs, just bend the metal tip so it is the appropriate distance? I will see if the auto parts store has whatever i need to gap the plugs, i have never done that either, so its time to learn some new things. Do you think not gapping them when i put them in would cause the misfire CEL?

DODGEPICKUP, thanks for posting that picture, thats exactly what i was looking for.
yes to both questions . now would be a good time to invest in a repair manual , haynes is a good starting manual and cheap .

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
moe in wichita ks
the small block mopar, and i think the big block, have #5 and #7 right next to each other. on the cap as well the engine, and 5 always comes before 7. it is realy easy to reverse them. on the disturbutor small blocks rotates clockwise, big blocks rotates counterclockwise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ford Spark Plugs?

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
The wires need to back IAW the TSB, especially if it is a Pre '99 model.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.