DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night while driving in the teeming rain, my MIL came on and stayed on. I researched some threads here to find out how to obtain the codes, and found the code to be P0138 - Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2.
Does anyone have any idea of what the hell this is, and how to fix the problem ?
Ok, I did a little more research..perhaps it is the O2 sensor ?
How do I find out which one is Bank 1 Sensor 2 ?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Bank 1 corresponds the where cylinder one lives. Verify this as I mainly work on G.M.'s for the Air Force, but I think Cylinder one is on our left bank ( left as if you were behind the steering wheel ). Sensor two would be the second sensor down stream from that bank, most likely after the catalytic convertor. Hope this is at least some help to you.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Give me till tomorrow night if no one else answers this for you and I will pull it up on All Data at work and have "ALL" the answers for you to include what exactly the code is and means.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patriot...thanks, I'll be looking forward to the information.

·
Hemi 4x4/Challenger T/A
1,482 Posts
Yes, that would be athe O2 sensor behind the cat, drivers' side.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
03 has only one cat. It's on the passenger side of the truck. If you don't want to buy it from the dealer, NGK (NTK) makes o2 sensors for the Ram and they are about $50.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ok I pulled on the code on our computer at Keesler AFB today. It is your O2 sensor. Bank 1 is Left Bank, Drivers Side. Sensor 2 is located........well now here is the deal. All Data, the computer program I use to work on vehicles for the Air Force shows '03's as having two convertors one on each side of the transmission. Possibly things changed halfway through the model year so I am going to give you two tips.

1. Crawl under your truck from the driver's side right behind your front wheel. If there is a converter beside the transmission it will be the sensor "Behind" the convertor or in the normal exhaust flow stream.

I have an '03 also and do not have but one converter!

2. If your converter is located on your passenger's side of your truck and this is the only converter you have then replace the "Second" or "Rear" sensor in the exhaust stream. It will be the one "Behind" the converter.

Proceedure for replacing the 02 sensor. Disconnect your battery's neg. or pos. cable. This will erase your 02 code and turn your light off once the problem is fixed. Once you have the battery disconnected, go under the truck and unplug the sensor, then unscrew it. Install new one, plug it up, and re-connect battery. Light off? Light remains off? Problem fixed! I will send you my consulting bill LOL :thatfunny I hope this fixes it for you and it should. Let me know if you need anything. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The light went out by itself without me doing anything to it. Do you think it had to do with the heavy rain and driving through puddles ?

·
Registered
768 Posts
No it shouldn't effect the O2 sensors but here's what you can try before you go buy a replacement 02 sensor. Disconnect your battery for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes or so re-connect the battery. If it is a "Soft Code", in other words the problem really doesn't exist, or does not exist anymore, then it will turn off the light. If it is a "Hard Code" then the light should come back on almost immediately of you starting the engine. If this happens then plan on buying an 02 sensor. A computer code will turn on the MIL once a problem has been detected. Soft Codes are stored in history and most manufacturers will turn off the MIL after so many key cycles where the problem no longer exists, something like maybe 60. The way to hurry that process up is to disconnect the battery. As far as the interrior lights? Don't know, sounds like you got something wet. I guess it would be possible for a puddle to effect an 02 like this also, but I am not buying it. 02's are in the exhaust and are subject to getting wet while driving in the rain anyway, so if a puddle effected an 02 then you have a "Bare" spot on that 02 and it probably should be replaced anyway. Try the battery trick first. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
768 Posts
hars03hemi,

If the light is now out, sounds like it was a "Fluke" or a "Soft Code" as explained above ^ and I would not concern myself too much over it unless the light comes back on. I do not know what DC's key cycle is to turn off MIL's on Soft Codes but that is what happened if the light went out. It is also possible that the 02 is working on minimal threshold "Barely Working" to specs. If this is the case, the light will come back on sooner of later. However, don't worry about it unless it comes back on.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
PatriotBlueHemi said:
No it shouldn't effect the O2 sensors but here's what you can try before you go buy a replacement 02 sensor. Disconnect your battery for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes or so re-connect the battery. If it is a "Soft Code", in other words the problem really doesn't exist, or does not exist anymore, then it will turn off the light. If it is a "Hard Code" then the light should come back on almost immediately of you starting the engine. If this happens then plan on buying an 02 sensor. A computer code will turn on the MIL once a problem has been detected. Soft Codes are stored in history and most manufacturers will turn off the MIL after so many key cycles where the problem no longer exists, something like maybe 60. The way to hurry that process up is to disconnect the battery. As far as the interrior lights? Don't know, sounds like you got something wet. I guess it would be possible for a puddle to effect an 02 like this also, but I am not buying it. 02's are in the exhaust and are subject to getting wet while driving in the rain anyway, so if a puddle effected an 02 then you have a "Bare" spot on that 02 and it probably should be replaced anyway. Try the battery trick first. Hope this helps.
I agree the puddle has nothing to do with it.

His MIL light is already off so I don't think disconnecting the battery will help at this time. I think what happened is that 3 "good trips" were detected since the MIL light came on. Meaning there were 3 instances where everything was working normal so the MIL went off, but the P0138 code is still stored in the computer.

After about 40 warm up cycles of normal operations the code will be erased from the computer memory.

If you cycle the key three times ending in the "on" position, the code should still appear in the odometer area if the MIL is out and the 40 cycles haven't been met. If the MIL is out and the 40 cycles have been met, then the code will not appear in the odometer.

If the MIL came back on then that means there were two instances in a row that the monitor failed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.