DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine gave me his old 88 Dakota 4x4 as it had become unreliable and he isnt mechanicaly inclined and able to trouble shoot her. She has 215K highway miles on the 3.9L, new clutch and fully rebuilt 5spd last year. He put new Jeep alloy take offs from the local tire shop on her a few years ago when the original rims died from rust. The 4wd works great, has limited slip rear end, extra HD rear suspension, high profile topper (he hauled model trains to shows in there). She has/had an intermitten stalling/no start issue, he doesnt know if its a loss of spark or fuel and so far hasnt stalled on me. The shop he uses just changed some stuff inside the distributor(guessing the pickup coil). He never drove it after that, he teaches and cant be stranded on the way to work. She came with Bosch fog lamps in the spoiler like a sport model, but both were taken out by a deer hit last year. I put a pair in I have, but they dont mount right so I am looking for the correct housings or a complete set from a early model sport. The marker lights on the topper need fixed, power wire is broken. We plan to get her running smooth again, then fix the rust, sand and repaint to IH red and leave the cap black. I also plan to install a reese hitch to tow our antique garden tractors to shows. Both of our rides are Mopar, my wife's being a 1998 Jeep GC Larado that is fully optioned out, lifted 2" ect. I do have a 84 GMC Sierra Classic that is rust free, 56K original miles, 6.2L diesel that I drive during the summer, its more of a show piece that worker anymore though. Its never seen road salt so it gets put away during the winter. I plan to sell it when the economy improves. We live in Kokomo IN, home to Chryslers 4 major transmission factorys and blessed with good parts stocking at the local auto parts stores. If its not a Dodge pickup or car, its a Jeep on the road around here! Cheers Mike and Michele T

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a little rust under the black trim above the rear wheel on the drivers side and the front bottom edge of the front quarter panel. Probably going to need some cutting and welding under that black trim, looks pretty swiss cheese under the very top of the trim. I will probably just build it up with some fiberglass body filler, sand it smooth and stick the trim back on. Once I get it sanded out, we will probably let Maacco paint it blue again for now. My wife loves and hates the topper, she hates toppers, but it makes hauling the dogs around easier and nice for winter hauling. If we take the topper off, I want to find the factory sport roll bar and lights to go back there. Mike

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,323 Posts
I would love this truck, long bed and all. The ecm is going, that would be my thought.

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,086 Posts
looks cleans

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been driving it all week, did a basic tune up, new plugs and wires, cap and rotor were already new, fresh fuel in it now. Old fuel was 10 months old! Drove it to indy, about an hour one way, twice now and no problems. Got her to idle down to 600 rpm now on the aftermarket tach is has on it. Topper lights are all working, debating taking off the topper as it creates some bad blind spots for changing lanes, even with add on blind spot mirrors on the main mirrors. But we like the covered hauling for winter time and the extra lights. Now if someone has the factory Sport model roll bar and lights, I would be very very interested in those. Our first Dak was a 90 sport model 4x4 with that on it. She will go to Macco soon to be stripped and repainted blue again, my wife cannot stand the dodgeitis paint peeling! They will also take care of the body rust then. While it will just be sanded out, sealed and bondo work, should buy a few more years of use. only real bad spot is above and behind that driverside rear fender flair. Gonna get the front end looked at this week, has an annoying shake above 60mph, doesnt really pull so its either shocks or a tie rod end. Cheers Mike

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,323 Posts
The paint was horrible upto 93-94. Dam epa took away all the good paint!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yepper, they really botched the paint quality during those years. If anybody has a line on one of the roll bars to go in the bed, I have cash ready. The lights can be found on ebay, but havent seen any of the roll bars. We took the topper off today, its for sale if anybody is looking for one for a 1st gen long bed. Cheers Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.