DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum here but glad I found it. I am needing any and all info(pics, build sheet copies, production numbers etc) for the midnite express trucks. I just traded for Dodge pickup number 39 and want to build a clone out of it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kenny

·
Registered
594 Posts
IIRC it was basically the same as the LRE but in black and Midnite Express decals. I'm not going to be near my reference books for a couple of days to doublecheck though.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The midnight express was very very rare. I have personally never seen one, just pictures of them. Here is a 78

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never seen one either. I saw the picture that was posted on here and knew I needed one. Mine is a stacked headlight 79 which I think will help it even more. Thanks for the information and keep it coming. When you get back to your reference books give me a shout.

Kenny

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
I like that better than the Lil Red :)

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
It would be interesting to see if it had the LRE engine in it or if it was just a black truck with decals added at a jobber site.
If it was only available in California its no wonder I have never seen one, LOL. Any idea how many they made?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
fal308, that looks like a cool book. I just ordered one from Amazon.ca

·
Registered
594 Posts
Beware the Don Blum books have several mistakes in them. Great book though.
A couple other books I have are "Dodge Pickup Trucks" by Steve Statham, "Standard catalog of Light-Duty Dodge Trucks 1917 - 2002" by Gunnell and "Dodge Trucks" by Don Blum

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is exactly what I was hoping would happen. Lots and lots of information. I have a owned a lot of Dodge trucks and am looking forward to this project. It will be slow but well worth it. This is alot of the fun right here. Just gathering the info.

Thanks,
Kenny

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
according to the info I have on Midnite Express trucks:

Midnite Express (ME) trucks started life as a black Warlock equipped with a number of options. Once at the dealership (primarily Mr Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago) the trucks were converted by adding the door decals, bed wood and vertical stack pipes.

And unlike the Lil Red Express (LRE) the ME truck was available with any V8 offered by Dodge, including the 440.

Dealerships simply ordered the LRE truck components through the parts department and then would have their service department convert them Warlocks into ME trucks.

The LRE wood panels would be bolted on the bed, the exhaust stacks and shields installed, and the special door decals mimicking the LRE decal would be applied to the door ...

It has been noted at the Chrysler museum that some off the very first trucks had both the Warlock trim package and the ME door decals.

The majority of the ME truck conversions were done in Chicago, but they shipped them out to any dealership interested in selling them.

In '79 Dodge agreed to ship a number of LRE's with a special order paint color (usually seen as paint code 999 - although the actual color appears to be PY-4009) with is Black Sun Fire Metallic.

Those trucks came with the 360, because the larger engines were no longer available (pollution control etc problems)

Again, when the trucks arrived at the dealerships, they applied the stacks and custom decals.

Hope this info helps some

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Thanks Dave! And thats why I never seen one go down the line when I was at the plant in 78 and 79

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Thanks, now I want a '78 440 ME :( lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I LOVE THIS. It is great to know that you are not alone in a world full of folks that ask "Why do you like those trucks so much?" Thanks for all the info and keep it coming. I am hoping it will dry up enough to get the trucks home in a day or two and I can get some pics up.

Kenny

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.