DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My D's original GY Wrangler's are worn and need replaced. I've done a little research and the Michellin LTX's seem to be well liked for milage, handling, and all-season (all around) performance. They are a pricey though at $169.00 ea. (Tire discounters). They seem to be as competitive as anyone else though.

The salesman suggested the Kelly Safari SUV. They are just about $100.00 ea. He said they actually have better tread life "Waranted for 60K not unusual to get 100K."

Any experience with either the Mich. or Kelly's? any other suggestions?

Doc

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Michelin's are are top of the line and the price is always highest. If you can aford them you won't regret it. If they are a little much for you check out the Yokohama Geolander+II or the Nitto Terra Grappler. I've used both and they perform great in all normal road conditions and light off road. I got 50k on both and 65k on the last set of Nitto's. They were rotated every 5k. If I had to choose I'd give the Yokohama's the edge because they have larger edge blocks that seem to wear better on trucks, especially if you dont rotate regularly. Good luck in your search!

Scott

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I just happen to have the Nov 04 Consumer reports in front of me. They rated SUV tires. The Kelly Safari SUV rated 21 of the 22 tested. The Michilen LTX's were 17.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I just happen to have the Nov 04 Consumer reports in front of me. They rated SUV tires. The Kelly Safari SUV rated 21 of the 22 tested. The Michilen LTX's were 17. Unfortunately my Michilen Cross Terrains that I like are 19. Goodyear Fortera HL, Pirelli STR, Hankok DynaPro AS and Kelly Safari Signature were 1,2,3,4.

·
'99 Durango SLT
283 Posts
I love my Michelin LTX M/S's. They are one of the best upgrades I made to my Durango.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i run the bridgestone duelers, the price is reasonable and the tread is pretty aggressive. i have a pic of mine in my gallery.

·
'99 Durango SLT
283 Posts
Neil F. said:
I just happen to have the Nov 04 Consumer reports in front of me. They rated SUV tires. The Kelly Safari SUV rated 21 of the 22 tested. The Michilen LTX's were 17. Unfortunately my Michilen Cross Terrains that I like are 19. Goodyear Fortera HL, Pirelli STR, Hankok DynaPro AS and Kelly Safari Signature were 1,2,3,4.
I am not a fan of Consumer Reports. The Michelins probably rated low due to their high cost. CR weighs cost too heavily as a judging criteria, IMO.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
BigDog99 said:
I am not a fan of Consumer Reports. The Michelins probably rated low due to their high cost. CR weighs cost too heavily as a judging criteria, IMO.
Nope. The overall score is based on the safety related tests. Higher priced tires are at the top as well as the bottom.

·
Registered
35 Posts
BigDog99 said:
I don't like consumer reports either. EVERY test they do seem biased. A certain brand gets all best buys when others deserve it. At first I thought it was just the cars but the computer reports were way off and I cancelled my subscription after I saw that.

·
AKA: Justin
190 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.