DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

First time posting, just recently picked up a 1972 Dodge B200 318.

The van had an insane fuel leak so I decided to completely replace as much as I can. While removing the tank, I noticed (2) lines running from the right side of the top of the tank to this metal post inside the van. The post extends 2-3 ft inside the van, is about 2in diameter, and has a cap on it. I tried to remove the cap but wasn't successful, seems to be pressed on. Does anyone know what this is? I ordered the Hanes manual but it hasn't arrived yet...

Thanks for any info!

·
Elder User
3,119 Posts
:unsure: I have never seen anything like that in my life. I would love to know what it's purpose is, should you ever figure it out. Do the two hoses actually attach to the gas tank or just run over the top of it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:unsure: I have never seen anything like that in my life. I would love to know what it's purpose is, should you ever figure it out. Do the two hoses actually attach to the gas tank or just run over the top of it?
The two lines attached to the top of the tank. I can get a picture of the tank today. The PO didn't know what the metal post was either. Looking at the carpet panels that came with the van, this post was hidden away with no access. The floor around the area looks odd so maybe this is aftermarket?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took some pictures of the tank. I also went to a local salvage yard to see if I could investigate tanks on any dodge vans but it seems like they remove them all before laying them out on the lot. On the second image you can see the two lines at the top.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, I wonder it its a makeshift charcoal canister/vent?
Do stock b200's have a charcoal canister? What's the benefit of having one?

I'm going to look at my buddies '77 and see how his tank is plumbed. When looking for a new tank to order, those two lines don't seem to be present on the pictures, however, I know the internet sometimes uses stock photos so it might not exactly represent what I'll receive. I wonder if this is necessary or not? There are a couple spots on the floor (around dog house, middle of van) I need to replace due to rust. Maybe I can cut that section out and replace it with a new piece of metal?

·
Registered
257 Posts
It would be something to do with quick-filling the tank. I don't think that looks like it's a standard fitting, but it's not unknown for vehicles to have lines run up high like that to provide venting for the filling of the tank once it's past the level of the filler pipe.

My B350 takes over three gallons after it first clicks off at the pump. But it's a very slow process.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone have a diagram for how the stock fuel lines are ran? I was hoping to look through the Hanes manual but it still hasn't came in yet....

It would be something to do with quick-filling the tank. I don't think that looks like it's a standard fitting, but it's not unknown for vehicles to have lines run up high like that to provide venting for the filling of the tank once it's past the level of the filler pipe.

My B350 takes over three gallons after it first clicks off at the pump. But it's a very slow process.
Would you suggest keeping it? It seems like they connected the fuel lines when they had the floor cut out because I see no way of reconnecting it after I dropped the tank.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It appears to be welded in place, right? You might as well leave it alone if it's not in your way or causing you trouble.

I have a Chilton manual for mine, but it's an '87model, though likely similar. Did you find your leak, that's a relevant question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It appears to be welded in place, right? You might as well leave it alone if it's not in your way or causing you trouble.

I have a Chilton manual for mine, but it's an '87model, though likely similar. Did you find your leak, that's a relevant question.
The post is welded into the floor. That area looks like it was a patch.

The leak looks like it was from non-fuel rated lines around the tank. The coupler between the tank and filler neck was as soft as a bag.

PO said the fuel that was leaking was dark brown/black so I decided to drop the whole tank before trying to get it started. I have a new tank on order but didn't realize the fuel sender was so hard to get.

This weekend I'm going to see if I can get underneath and see whats going on from below.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Hanes manual came in today (finally!). Unfortunately it doesn't have a layout style fuel diagram that shows where are the lines should run to. Does anyone have a sketch of where they run their fuel lines. I understand the filler neck, filler neck vent, and the line that attaches to the fuel sender unit. Its the vents that are really throwing me for a loop. I tried to investigate my buddies '77 Tradesman, however, the frame rails block all visibility of the top of his tank.

Thanks again for all the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts