DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Memphis Model: 16-MCD1500 1500 watts x 1 @ 2 ohms Class D Subwoofer Amplifier in my local paper for $389 (Hardly used, it says). Is this a good deal? I have never owned anything made by Memphis but there are a few threads I have read on here about people that like thier amps. If you have had any experience, good or bad, let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
new price was 580-650 or something on theese afaik so can't b be a bad deal if everything is OK

it puts out the 1.5kw @ 2 ohm, and it is -not- 1ohm stable, so make sure you wire for 2 ohm

·
:D Hello!!!
3,401 Posts
sounds to good to be true, heck of a deal!!! I love my memphis amp!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ander and GC... GC how is your amp in the overheating department, has it ever overheated?

·
I am your Father
2,365 Posts
It's really only a 750 watt amp at 4-ohm. If you are comparison shoping for an equivalent amp from another brand, be sure that you match up theat same rating, so you are comparing Apples to Apples.

1500 watts from a 4-guage cable at the power supply? Let the buyer beware.

750 watts from a 4-guage cable at the power supply sounds more realistic, as long as you run at least 2 guage from the battery to the rear of the vehicle, and then reduce it to 4-guage near the amp with a PDB.

·
Registered
85 Posts
like bill lawrence says, don't run high current on thin cables, 4 gauge is more then enough for the short distance between a cap/battery mounted near the amp, but not for a long stretch from battery up front.

I run 0/1 gauge from front battery/alternator to the rear batterybank/capacitors, then I run thinner cables into the amps, 2 gauge for sub amps and 4 gauge for stereo.

but it should have no trouble @ 2 ohm and 1500 watts really.

not many people load their subamps at 4 ohm though bill, but [email protected] is a decent number.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill- Thanks for pointing that out... now I don't think its such a great deal. I think there are better amps out there for around that price and higher watts @ 4ohm.

·
I am your Father
2,365 Posts
Don't just consider wattage. Also look at the distortion ratings, and actually go listen to them BEFORE you buy. You will notice that the distortion rating on the Memphis equipment is about 10X the rating of similar power amps from other brands.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Memphis amps and their distortion ratings are still well under what is audible. Outside of sitting in a properly tuned SQ competition car that is parked, you will not notice the subtle differences between a GOOD amp (and there are a ton of them) and the "elite" amps when you're driving around. There's just so many other noises to compete with in traffic and a car is far from a listening room. Speakers and tuning will make an exponentially more significant difference then the sonic signature, so better to invest there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.