DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '08 3500 Mega Cab and am putting a gooseneck hitch in the bed...Is there going to be a turning issue with the short bed on a Mega Cab...I am hearing there will be problems from the installer...Is anyone towing gooseneck horse trailers with the Mega Cab???

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
A horse trailer is usually narrow enough with round front corners that it shouldn't be an issue unless you get into a jack knife situation.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I've heard of 5th wheel hitch extenders, but never Goose Neck extenders. I've always been under the impression the Goose Neck attachment was mounted between the frame rails and went threw the floor in the bed centered over the axle. Maybe the extension is for height..?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I'm sorry my friend, but this one is out of my league.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Moving the pivot point back will help too. Check http://www.turnoverball.com/turnover.asp# and hit accessories. You'll find a 4" extension that moves the pivot point back. Couple that with a 9" extended coupler (like you posted)and you should increase your radius.

I have a co worker that has a quad cab short bed and a wide (square corner front) 5th wheel and he says he's able to make fairly tight turns with that set up. I believe the mega cab is even shorter then the quad cab bed though, so depending on the width of the front of your trailer ...

But I've wondered if all those extenders change the placement of the pin weight and move it behind the axle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey just food for thought. . . the guy i bought my truck from bought a new truck MEGA cab shot bed, he was towing a massive trailer with my truck (04 2500) its like a 32 ft camper. . . anyways he tried to make a turn to go out of his drive way and CRUSHED one of his cab conrners. . . even with that extender dealy and a slide hitch. . . he bought a new camper and his truck is still in the shop. . .

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The MegaCab shortbed has the same bed length bed as a QuadCab shortbed, so if it works with QC SB, it will work with the MC SB. Aside from that, it will be dependant upon the configuration of the nose of the trailer as to how tight you can turn. The farther you move the pivot point back, the less stable the combination will be.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
My dad has a 2500 mega and tows a 35' gooseneck with a wide front end (same width as the truck) and has the 4" extender thing and has some issues with turning sharp - in fact he hit the cab with it barely just to the left of the window. I think with the 9" alone or with the 9" and 4" together you shouldnt have any problems.

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,086 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.