DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If this thread has to be moved please do so but these are questions for mechanics . These questions are for a broader spectrum on how each mechanic is or maybe the ones i deal with are different.

NOw my point of view as a contractor for building homes i have to do what the customer wants if he buys a door i put it in if he buys a window i put it in no matter what the circumstance i have to do what the customer wants in order to get payed. Wheather it be a bid or a time and matierials job he is boss no matter what no and ifs or buts. NO matter the company no matter the product i have to put it in if he wants

Su here are my questions for mechanics

1. If i buy the parts and brings them to you would you install them?

2. Do mechanics prefer certain brands or do all brands work?

3. Lets say i wanted to do a cam install would you tell me no and then say i only do it with a cam and heads at the same time? You wouldnt just do the cam swap???

4.Is five grand upsurd for heads headers and cam and custom tuning?

5.When ordering parts if you are offered a cheaper price on parts but its more difficult to get versus paying a steeper price for the item and recieving it easily?(difference being only a few days wait)

6.If the mechanic is worried about liability and the customer just wants something done would you do it and then have them sign a no liability form?

thanks just need a insight to my mechanics around here

·
"Shadetree Mechanic"
211 Posts
If this thread has to be moved please do so but these are questions for mechanics . These questions are for a broader spectrum on how each mechanic is or maybe the ones i deal with are different.

NOw my point of view as a contractor for building homes i have to do what the customer wants if he buys a door i put it in if he buys a window i put it in no matter what the circumstance i have to do what the customer wants in order to get payed. Wheather it be a bid or a time and matierials job he is boss no matter what no and ifs or buts. NO matter the company no matter the product i have to put it in if he wants

Su here are my questions for mechanics

only if they are not known to be troublesome, that way the mechanic can at least have a degree of integrety of his installation, otherwise the part may render the labor of the install at risk.

sure, all professionals have their preferences.

3. Lets say i wanted to do a cam install would you tell me no and then say i only do it with a cam and heads at the same time?

of course you can only do a cam install, other items might be needed though to insure the integrety of the install.

Yes....absurd...close to about a grand too high I would say, especially without knowing your intended needs.

5.When ordering parts if you are offered a cheaper price on parts but its more difficult to get versus paying a steeper price for the item and recieving it easily?(difference being only a few days wait)

well, some parts aren't going to arrive all at the same time anyway, just research and order accordingly, and save a buck or two. Plan your install.

6.If the mechanic is worried about liability and the customer just wants something done would you do it and then have them sign a no liability form?

Technical Law issue there. Too much to consider on what, when, and if's.

I'm a professional builder myself, and I consider this just the laws of doing business properly and honestly.
I won't install garbage that could come back and haunt me and possibly a litigation:cool:

1-

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
I go to two shop locally, who are mechanics I trust and they will allow me to buy my own parts and they install them especially for things that I don't have time or the tools to do it myself

but they also know I research the heck out of stuff before I buy it, and I don't buy junk ...

they also write "customer supplied part" on my receipt

·
Banned
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well put solar ram

but yes the crap install i see that point very well but if they are a known company why not

i talked to a mechanic this morning that no matter what he would only install kooks headers nothing else

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Yes, but if its general repair parts I'm going to charge you more per hour. Performance parts, I'd install and not charge any extra.

Everyone has their own opinions of whats good. Don't bring me the cheapest crap you found at pepboys because i'm not going to install it.

3. Lets say i wanted to do a cam install would you tell me no and then say i only do it with a cam and heads at the same time? You wouldnt just do the cam swap???
I'd do a cam swap or a heads/cam swap. If I'm doing springs with the cam the labor is going to be the same as doing heads and cam though.

Not at all:
cam $400
heads $2000
gaskets and bolts $200
Headers $1000
Tuning $600+
$800 in labor isn't too bad for all that. Its pretty time consuming work that you don't want screwed up

That would be up to the customer if they want to pay the difference. Also depends on the time frame they want the job done in. General rule is if you have a short deadline its going to cost more. I usually plan my own stuff out far enough in advance I don't have these issues.

No because I value my name and reputation. I don't want something I put together to blow up 20 miles down the road and have someone find out I put it together. If you want cheap junk installed take it somewhere else I don't need that kind of business.

No problem

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts

Yes....

I prefer factory parts as replacements but would install anything. If it is junk to begin with(rebuilt alternator, etc...) don't expect it to last forever...

I would do just the cam swap. Basically whatever you would want.

Yes... IMHO only. Heads 1000, headers, 500, cam 300, tune 500.... Total parts about 2k, install about 500.

I like to have parts yesterday so yes i like availability. Time is money.

IDK what for but i would not remove a cat converter. That is about the only thing i would not do. Everything else is up for debate.

·
Come Git Some
1,155 Posts

Yes....

I prefer factory parts as replacements but would install anything. If it is junk to begin with(rebuilt alternator, etc...) don't expect it to last forever...

I would do just the cam swap. Basically whatever you would want.

Yes... IMHO only. Heads 1000, headers, 500, cam 300, tune 500.... Total parts about 2k, install about 500.

I like to have parts yesterday so yes i like availability. Time is money.

IDK what for but i would not remove a cat converter. That is about the only thing i would not do. Everything else is up for debate.

Thats some cheap labor for all that work!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Thats some cheap labor for all that work!
some cheap headers too unless you are going to just bolt up a set of longtubes with nothing attached. I believe the FRI econos are the only head you could get for $1000 too. For a nice setup done the right way $5000 isn't out of the question.

·
Meet Hemi!!
5,728 Posts
The reason most mechanics want to use specific parts is because they get a kick back from those parts. There are very few mechanics that remain honest IMO nobody works on my vehicles unless absolutly necassary. (Warranty)

As far as buying parts are both parties relable and do they stand by there products?

I can usually talk to someone for a couple minutes and decide that rather q uickly. Becoming a good judge of charachter has done me very well over the years.

I have a couple questions I ask puposely to see how and what the responce is, Kind of dasturdly I know but it helps with understanding charachter....

I say buy the parts you want and take resposability for you decision.:D

As far as the price you have I have installed those mods for about the same amount. $900.00 If the mechanic want to use his own parts it's because he will make more money that way, Usually.

·
Banned
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i can say i love the responses i agree with all of the reputation and parts but this one mechanic said he wouldnt touch dynatech headers which is one of the nicest sets of headers out there in my opinion thats were the parts question came in

·
Fastest stockblock 4x4 NA
2,695 Posts
hey bret, i would be willing to give you a hand with the headers, or most other things.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Most mopar heads on this site will help you install most of those things with beer and pizza and a smile on there face. Thats before the beer buzz also. If you dont have the time 5k is reasonable with good quality performing heads. Most LT headers will be at least 1k or over with y-pipe/cats etc.

·
Banned
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh i got headers sorry about the mix up

my cuzin told me about this new mechanic and i just asked him what kind of parts he would put on and i was shocked when he said he wouldnt mess with a sts turbo and dynatech headers

best part was he told me he custom tuned a dodge ram 2 years ago haha

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You can do it your self, I see you can type!
x-mechanic , still own a shop!
#1 yes
#2 yes/no
#3 up to customer
#4 yes
#5 up to customer
#6 depends on ???

·
"Shadetree Mechanic"
211 Posts
it just sounds like you need to search out a few more mechanics, lot's of folks say they are pro's. A confident/competent mechanic will do your installs, especially when you have the help here to find good products you want installed.:tup:

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
oh i got headers sorry about the mix up

my cuzin told me about this new mechanic and i just asked him what kind of parts he would put on and i was shocked when he said he wouldnt mess with a sts turbo and dynatech headers

best part was he told me he custom tuned a dodge ram 2 years ago haha
Well now you know he's a liar and not trustworthy.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
Well now you know he's a liar and not trustworthy.
i would not go that far it could have been a 79 dodge ram with a carb, and points ignition. lol but for him to sat that he tunes a 3 gen ram 2 years ago is crap. well unless it was with a PSC but if it was then it was 383hemi.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.