DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WANTED, HELP FROM SKILLED AND EXPERIENCED MECHANIC. Please.

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, 5.7 VVT NON-MDS truck 4x4 auto trans. Bad lifter damaged cam. 126,000 miles.
I bought a 2016 Ram 1500 LT 5.7 with MDS 24,000 miles.

After a swap of pan, install MDS block off plugs, flywheel, throttle body, crank sensor, I installed it. Runs poorly and has "multiple misfire" codes on 1,4,6,7. Strong smell of fuel, runs worse as it warms up.

What do I need to do to get it running correctly?
Or what options do I have to correct issues?

·
Red Trucker
2,399 Posts
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Why did you pull the solenoids without swapping the lifters? Put the solenoids back in. Or yank the heads and swap the lifters for cylinders 1, 4, 6 & 7. Currently you are running a big four cylinder because when you pulled the solenoids without a corresponding lifter change they collapsed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Why did you pull the solenoids without swapping the lifters? Put the solenoids back in. Or yank the heads and swap the lifters for cylinders 1, 4, 6 & 7. Currently you are running a big four cylinder because when you pulled the solenoids without a corresponding lifter change they collapsed.
How do the solenoid valves work?

"During MDS operation the same four cylinders are always shut down. ... The MDS solenoids direct oil pressure to the lifters for each cylinder and that pressure pushes in locking pins that allow the lifters to 'collapse', so they no longer open the valves. The ECU also shuts off fuel and spark to the cylinders"

To my best "UN-SKILLED MECHANIC" knowledge, Lifters do not need to be removed, they will act as normal lifter.

·
Red Trucker
2,399 Posts
How do the solenoid valves work?

"During MDS operation the same four cylinders are always shut down. ... The MDS solenoids direct oil pressure to the lifters for each cylinder and that pressure pushes in locking pins that allow the lifters to 'collapse', so they no longer open the valves. The ECU also shuts off fuel and spark to the cylinders"

To my best "UN-SKILLED MECHANIC" knowledge, Lifters do not need to be removed, they will act as normal lifter.
Well....your "best UN-SKILLED MECHANIC knowledge" led you to the exact cylinders that are the four MDS cylinders collapsing, sooooooooooo...........? But hey, obviously you can Google with the best of them, so good luck! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts