DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 1500 Hemi with MDS and I have lost traction 3 different times when the motor goes from running on 4 cylinders to running on all 8. Just this past Tuesday my wife and 1 year old daughter were driving my truck and lost control on an icy road. She was going less than 40 mph and gave the truck just a little bit of gas. When the motor kicked in all cylinders she lost control and rolled. They are both fine but the truck is a complete loss, with only 4000 miles on it. I was wondering if anybody else has experinced this.

·
Registered
778 Posts
wow, glad your family is ok. MDS turns out to be worse than worthless its flat out dangerous

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
This has happened to my father. He did a 180 and hit the ditch. If don't expect it it will take you for a ride

·
HEMI
2,771 Posts
A year ago today, I hit black ice and spun mine in a couple 180's and hit a fire hydrant. I had just given the truck a little gas and that was enough to spin her out. These crap stock tires don't help.

·
Registered
31,151 Posts
A year ago today, I hit black ice and spun mine in a couple 180's and hit a fire hydrant. I had just given the truck a little gas and that was enough to spin her out. These crap stock tires don't help.
from that avatar pic you won't have to worry about 'em too much longer!!

·
HEMI
2,771 Posts
from that avatar pic you won't have to worry about 'em too much longer!!
That's my plan ;)
34" Nitto TG's are sounding pretty good.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
I have started fish tailing when my MDS disables but never to the extent of spining or rolling. Glad to hear everybody is ok.

·
11 sec club
6,067 Posts
wow thats crazy. I have never liked the idea of mds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have more problems with the electronic throttle control than the mds. as soon as you touch the gas, there's a half second or so delay and then throttle for at least a second, hard to control, especially in ice and snow. Could have been designed or at least programmed a little tighter. I can actually stab the pedal and be back off of it before I get any throttle. :rck:BTW, I really love the MDS! My gas mileage ROCKS!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have more problems with the electronic throttle control than the mds. as soon as you touch the gas, there's a half second or so delay and then throttle for at least a second, hard to control, especially in ice and snow. Could have been designed or at least programmed a little tighter. I can actually stab the pedal and be back off of it before I get any throttle. :rck:BTW, I really love the MDS! My gas mileage ROCKS!
So what is it? Do you have ethanol fuel and what kind of driving?

·
Registered
25,345 Posts
wouldn't a couple 180's be a 360?:thatfunny Sorry man had too.

Glad you were ok too.:gr_patrio

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm glad to hear eveyone is OK . I have shut my MDS off for the winter weather with my Diablo.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I have an 08 with the HEMI and MDS and have not had this issue? Don't see how it could happen unless you/your wife have a much heavier accelerator foot than I do? I can tell when MDS goes in and out by sound and because of the slight vibration it causes in my truck. However, it isn't a big change in anything when it does?

Are we talking romping on it here to pass or to increase speed rapidly? Really that is the only way, based on how my truck behaves, I could see that happening and that really isn't the MDS's fault. I would wager it would happen without MDS just because of the rapid increase in power whenever you get on a HEMI( even 1/2 throttle is enough in bad weather ). Especially if you have the issue below. Just don't see how kicking out of MDS is causing this at normal acceleration/cruising speeds? :dunno: ( no offense meant ).

Almost sounds more to me like a tire issue. If you have the 0E 20" Goodyear Wrangler HP's THAT is most likely the cause. Not MDS related. My truck came with them and would slip and slide, even in 4WD, all the time with any throttle pressure. MDS had nothing to do with it. I was costing around a corner( 18-20 MPH +/- )just 3 days after buying the truck( little bit of ice/sleet on the road )and wound up doing a couple complete 360's before the truck stopped. The tires are just awful in any snow/ice/wet conditions.

I replaced them yesterday, even though they only had 2400 miles, with some better tires. BIG difference. If you have those OE 20's I would put the blame there not on MDS. If you don't have those tires I still wouldn't blame MDS. I would blame the aggressiveness of acceleration. Not to be insulting so hope it is not taken that way. I have driven in a lot of bad weather this year with the new truck and have had zero issues with the MDS relating to bad weather driving.

Glad everyone is ok.

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,638 Posts
Wow- I'm not sure MDS would be the only cause or not, but Thank God your family is ok. I'm glad my 04 doesn't have MDS, and I'm glad that the new 2500 Hemi's don't have it either.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.