DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been reported by Automotive News this week (in Monday's issue) that DCX will equip every 5.7-liter Hemi it builds for '06 with the Multiple Displacement System (MDS). This essentially shuts off half of the cylinders when not in use, to save fuel.

Among vehicles affected will be the Durango, Grand Cherokee, and yes, the Hemi Ram pickups. All should see a significant increase in EPA fuel economy ratings, which will be released sometime toward the end of this summer.

Sorry, don't have a link... just a story in the Automotive News, which strangely enough, has not been reported anywhere on the web yet as far as I can tell.

Good news though!

·
Registered
130 Posts
i wonder how that will effect it when you really want to get on it, but half of your cylinders are shut off, i mean how fast will the jump back to work

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Well, the 300C responds quick.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I wonder if you can get it done to a previous model .... like the 2005 5.7 hemi

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Would it be like a new flash for the PCM or more in depth?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I think you will find it is a lot more involved than just a PCM flash. Going to involve relays and sensors and controls and such. At least that would be my best guess anyway. If it is just a flash that should mean the older models could get it.

·
RamFever
601 Posts
I would hate to have a problem with the MDS going out. Need to wait a couple of years to see how many problems occur with it.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Sumptin else to go WRONG

Computer flashes till the end of time

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dline said:
I don't think the cars with the HEMI's with MDS have had any trouble yet.
Correct. And over 200,000 of them are on the road now.

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
oh man... hey david, does this include the hemi power wagon? if so, i'll wait till this fall for the wagon!

thanks,

mike

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MSCH2112 said:
oh man... hey david, does this include the hemi power wagon? if so, i'll wait till this fall for the wagon!

thanks,

mike
It wasn't specifically mentioned, but yes, I would assume so......... unless they go to a 6.1-liter engine in the Power Wagon (which is unlikely). The 6.1 does not have MDS.

·
Registered
443 Posts
That is gonna suck for the RAMS. I just don't see the point of making a truck a 4 banger. These things are so heavy, it will end up being in V8 mode 95% of the time. Only time you'll see benefits will be on the highway the way I see it.

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
i would guess the mds will be disabled when in 4wheel drive.

mike

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
my dealer said the mds has not been confirmed on 2006 power wagons though. he's also big on engines and drivetrains. says 6.1 hemi will most likely not be in the power wagons or the manual tranny as well.

mike

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MSCH2112 said:
my dealer said the mds has not been confirmed on 2006 power wagons though. he's also big on engines and drivetrains. says 6.1 hemi will most likely not be in the power wagons or the manual tranny as well.

mike
He's right, it hasn't been confirmed for the Power Wagon, but logically if they say "all Chrysler Group vehicles with the 5.7-liter Hemi" it probably means the Power Wagon is included.

The 6-speed for the Power Wagon is coming, it's on restriction while some bugs are being worked out, and the factory isnt' saying much more than that.

At this point, I really don't expect to see the 6.1 in the trucks until 2008, if at all. I think it was planned for 2006 originally, but has been cancelled due to rising fuel prices. Nobody seems to want to talk about that either.

·
HEMIENV
253 Posts
Neighbor works for chrysler, always is getting new cars...got the new Grand Cherokee HEMI a while back and husband got a 05 Dakota Laramie V8 about 6 mos ago, his 2006 Ram 1500 Laramie HEMI, 20's was built last week and should be in shortly, said it's got the MDS, sopposed to be Patriot blue. will post pix when it arrives!!

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wasn't aware that build-out for 2005's had even occurred yet.......... I wonder if they are building some '05.5 models with MDS as a test.

·
HEMIENV
253 Posts
no it is going to be a 2006, they might have a 05.5 but it wont have MDS, maybe a styling diff...he gets the chrysler 6mo to 1-yr promo's .. had the dakota almost 6 mo and the ram will be 1 yr, promotion for chrysler emp spouses.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.