DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Bring it on rice boy!!!!!
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have new infinty reference series speekers for my 05 ram. I have the coax 5 1/4 for the back, coax 3 1/2 for the dash and the 6 1/2 components for the front doors. I havent installed them yet as I was just going to replace the speekers. Now I am wondering about maybe selling the door speakers and buying mb quart speakers and keeping the reference coax speakers for the dash. I was reading where the most expense should be in the speakers and since I have plans for nice subs, I am wondering if I should go fo some really nice MB quarts. I was thinking the coax speakers but then I was reading about the Q series components. I am after really awesome sound quality. Any opinions?

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I love my MB Quarts, I have been running Quarts for almost 15 years now...The bad thing about Quarts they are no longer shipping them to the states...

www.onlinecarstereo.com usually has good prices on Quarts..

·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what models. i was thinking the premium series becasue the price upgrade to the Q series is so much and the premium series can be mounted in a coax fashion.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You should also consider these:

JL Audio XR653-CSi

I ran these in my convertible and even with the top down they sound phenomenal. I was only running 80 watts to them from a Kicker 700.5 and I don't think they could have sounded any better. You have to spend ALOT more to get a better set of speakers than these. I'm going to be running them in my Durango as well. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
HEMI_OFF_ROAD said:
what models. i was thinking the premium series becasue the price upgrade to the Q series is so much and the premium series can be mounted in a coax fashion.

I am running 2 sets of PCE 216's up front and in the rear I am running 213's..

The front 2 sets are running on a JL Audio 450/4 and the rears on running on a 300/2.

·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
keven said:
I am running 2 sets of PCE 216's up front and in the rear I am running 213's..

The front 2 sets are running on a JL Audio 450/4 and the rears on running on a 300/2.
Where are you fitting 2 sets of 216's up front? I was thinking of putting in my infinity reference coax 3 1/2 in the dash off the deck, and PCE's in the four doors with a kicker amp. I was even debating on using 5 1/4's in all four doors vs 6 1/2 's up front. JL amps are pretty pricey, any other good recomendations that are less expensive?

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
HEMI_OFF_ROAD said:
Where are you fitting 2 sets of 216's up front? I was thinking of putting in my infinity reference coax 3 1/2 in the dash off the deck, and PCE's in the four doors with a kicker amp. I was even debating on using 5 1/4's in all four doors vs 6 1/2 's up front. JL amps are pretty pricey, any other good recomendations that are less expensive?

I have custom made kick panels for 1 set of Quarts , then I have a 6.5 in the doors and the tweeter in the A-pillars..

Before I ran JL amps I used to run Alpine and was extremely happy with those.

·
I am your Father
2,365 Posts
What's the goal here? Is it Sound Quality, or do you just want to be loud? I see that folks are whoring out their own brand as usual, but I still don't see what your personal need is, and I still didn't see an answer to what YOU thought sounded better out of the two choices that you gave.

·
2010 SRT8 Challenger
12,435 Posts
i had mb quarts in my last truck and loved em...i had infinity kappas in my truck before that and they sounded great too...never had the referance series but have heard them in others' cars and they sound good too...all personal choice

·
Total loser.
584 Posts
Audionutz said it best, which ones do YOU like best. Go listen to both. Even though I can personally say, I really am not impressed with my Infinitys. Very very sharp highs not very forgiving.

·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
keven said:
I have custom made kick panels for 1 set of Quarts , then I have a 6.5 in the doors and the tweeter in the A-pillars..

Before I ran JL amps I used to run Alpine and was extremely happy with those.
I am looking at high quality sound. I like the volume up high and no distortion. I listen to country alot as well as R&B, pop rock and others. With the country highs are very important. I heard some systems at a stereo shop but nothing I liked. So far the infinity speakers sound good but I havent heard the MB's.

·
I am your Father
2,365 Posts
This is all the more reason to go and listen to the MB Quarts, and at least one other brand. Music preference is a VERY personal preference, and different people will like very different things. (NEVER buy speakers without listening to them first)

For example: (I have this fresh in my memory since I just went through a listening session with the top 10 speaker brands)
The comments that DJ made about the high-end of the Infinity's is similar to a comment that I might make about the MB-Quarts. The highs are quite fatiguing for an adult listener. (Unless you buy the set that costs $1600.00, those I really like.)

On the other hand, I didn't think the Infinity's were fatiguing, but there were other things I didn't like about them.

The JL speakers sound just like every other low-end speaker out there. Instruments do not sound like real instruments, rather they sound like cheap recordings of the real instruments. Most kids probably would be happy with them for their boom&sizzle factor, but if you're after something that sounds better than the stock setup, then you're looking at a deeper investment.

Note: Notice I did not whore out my own brand.

One other thing... If Sound Quality truly is your goal, don't have two sets of speakers in front of you in two different locations producing the same frequencies. (For example: two tweeters, and two midbass drivers, dash, a-pillars, doors, and kicks on each side) This will smear the image, and present you with a confusing sound stage.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
AudioNutz said:
What's the goal here? Is it Sound Quality, or do you just want to be loud? I see that folks are whoring out their own brand as usual, but I still don't see what your personal need is, and I still didn't see an answer to what YOU thought sounded better out of the two choices that you gave.

I am only giving the name of a brand thats tried and true because myself and alot of colleagues have used and compared many many many other brands and I personally like the stuff I suggested...

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Alright folks, I'm going to ask you to agree to disagree on this one. There's a ton of knowledge and personal experience represented here on DT. Everyone is not going to see eye to eye or favor the same brands.

Thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
FreeLantz said:
Alright folks, I'm going to ask you to agree to disagree on this one.
That's fine as long as everyone gets to express their opinion.

FreeLantz said:
There's a ton of knowledge and personal experience represented here on DT.
Not when posts are getting deleted, there's not.

HEMI_OFF_ROAD,

I suggest that you go to several local car audio shops and listen to differant brands and see what you like. MB Quart, JL Audio, Polk, Zapco, Boston Accoustics and others are all good brands. It's boils down to two factors though. How much you are willing to spend and what sounds good to you.

You were looking for opinions and here is mine. MB Quart is a good brand. I have never heard a bad set of them. However for a little more money, the JL Audio's I suggested will give you a much better sound quality and front stage if installed and amped properly. Are they better than the MB's? I think so, but my (or anyone elses) opinion doesn't really matter as it is your money, your truck and your ears listening to it.

Good luck in your search. I am sure that in the end you will find something that suits your tastes and needs.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Expressing opinions is fine - childish attacks against each other are not. The posts that were deleted were off topic and not needed. Any more posts of this sort and the thread will be closed permanently.

·
Registered
365 Posts
AudioNutz said:
This is all the more reason to go and listen to the MB Quarts, and at least one other brand. Music preference is a VERY personal preference, and different people will like very different things. (NEVER buy speakers without listening to them first)
Agreed.

AudioNutz said:
The JL speakers sound just like every other low-end speaker out there. Instruments do not sound like real instruments, rather they sound like cheap recordings of the real instruments. Most kids probably would be happy with them for their boom&sizzle factor, but if you're after something that sounds better than the stock setup, then you're looking at a deeper investment.
Unless you have some facts to back that up, that is a baseless comment and your personal opinion and nothing more. I'm sure all those awards JL Audio has won several years in a row were awarded to them for being a low end company. If you are suggesting I have JL's in my car for the "boom&sizzle factor", you are very far from the truth.

JL Audio Wins Eleven Autosound Grand Prix Awards

Miramar, FL—JL Audio has been awarded eleven Auto Sound Grand Prix Awards by Audio Video International magazine—a leading trade publication for the consumer electronics industry.

The Autosound Grand Prix Awards is an annual event which takes place each March. It offers retailers a voice in choosing the best products of the year based on the following criteria: sound fidelity, design and engineering, reliability, user-and installer-friendliness, product integrity and value-for-price/performance.

The following JL Audio components received Grand Prix status:

JL Audio 500/1 (Single-Channel Amps)
JL Audio 300/2 (Stereo Amps up to 300W)
JL Audio 300/4 (Four Channel Amps 200W & Over)
JL Audio 500/5 (Other Multi-Channel Amps)
JL Audio TR650-CSi (Component Systems up to $250)
JL Audio XR650-CSi (Component Systems $250 & Over)
JL Audio 10W6v2 (10" Subs)
JL Audio 12W7 (12" Subs)
JL Audio 15W3 (15" & Over Subs)
JL Audio HO112R-W7 (Sub Enclosures)
JL Audio Stealthboxes (OEM-Fit Products: Audio)
The fact that you compare JL Audio to other low end speakers like Audiobahn, Jensen, Sony or others shows your closed mindedness to look at brands other than your own.
AudioNutz said:
Note: Notice I did not whore out my own brand.
Your choice of terms shows little respect of others and their opinions. Had I listed any of the manufactorers listed in your sig, I would bet I would not have been "whoring them out".
AudioNutz said:
One other thing... If Sound Quality truly is your goal, don't have two sets of speakers in front of you in two different locations producing the same frequencies. (For example: two tweeters, and two midbass drivers, dash, a-pillars, doors, and kicks on each side) This will smear the image, and present you with a confusing sound stage.
Agreed.

HEMI_OFF_ROAD,

Your choice of speakers are also dependant on what you power them with. You can have the best speakers on the market, but if you are powering them w/ a 40 watt power booster from your local flea market, they are going to sound like crap. You should spend a good deal of money on your speakers, but don't neglect your head unit or amplifier. A crappy signal, amplified through a crappy amp played through the best speakers on the planet will still sound like crap.
;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Also I suggested the JL XR-653's for a reason. They are a 3 way component system. It consists of a 6.5" midbass, 4" midrange and a 1" tweeter. You can mount the 6.5 and 4 in the stock locations and mount the tweeter in the mirror pods which will improve your staging and give you better SQ which is what you are after.

Attachments

·
I am your Father
2,365 Posts
So I’ll take inventory now…

We’re agreeing on several things:
1. The consumer should go and listen to several brands before making a decision.
2. Music preference is a VERY personal preference, and different people will like very different things.
3. NEVER buy speakers without listening to them first.

…And then you go here:
sebringdroptop said:
…Unless you have some facts to back that up, that is a baseless comment and your personal opinion and nothing more…
Just when I thought we were getting along. Didn’t we just agree on #2 above? I’m expressing my personal preference. I’m guessing that we’ve never met in person, and you don’t know who I am, or what my qualifications are. (Most folks in the Car Audio industry know me)

I hate giving my entire resume, but I would tell you if you really want to know. (It goes deeper than my signature)

sebringdroptop said:
…I'm sure all those awards JL Audio has won several years in a row were awarded to them for being a low end company…
This is where we begin to disagree. Do you know how/why these “Auto Sound Grand Prix Awards” are given? Are you aware that these are voted on by retailers? (People motivated by sales volumes)

I think it's ok that we disagree on this...

sebringdroptop said:
…If you are suggesting I have JL's in my car for the "boom&sizzle factor", you are very far from the truth…
I’m not suggesting that at all. Why do you think that?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.