DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm at school, and I currently drive a 94 roadmaster station wagon (you know, wood panel, big v8, and rides like a barge).

Anyway, I've always preferred trucks, and I have a feeling that the wagon is worth a lot more right now (lot of people love/collect them) than it will be whenever something expensive breaks (years? weeks? who knows. runs great).

My dad had a 94ish dakota when I was little, I loved it. What should I look for? I don't like the styling of the second gen dakotas - I wouldn't get one.

I think my only requirements would be 4wd, much preferably extended cab, and a v8. Also prefer standard, but either way. Anything to look for/avoid? Have some fourwheelers that I like to tow, but trailer probably wouldn't exceed 3k lbs, but maybe another quad in the bed so like 4000 pounds payload?

Just looking for any insight or tips. I am at school like I said, so all I need is reliable and good in the cold Maine winters!

Thanks,
tyler

· Troubleshooter
1,482 Posts
V8 4x4 Club Cabs with a standard trans are very hard to come by, but if you're patient enough one will eventually pop up.
I've driven several and currently own 2 Daks. Auto transmissions are a known issue with these, but if the truck was cared for, it doesn't seem to be a problem. If the truck does have a rebuilt trans, I try to find out how many miles it had before the rebuild, it says alot about the previous owner's driving habits. If the dealer says the truck was used for towing or if the tow pkg has been used, I walk away-I've had bad experiences, seems like a lot of people forget to turn the OD off when towing (and I'm somewhat hypocritical, my '93 was solely a boat puller, but the prev owner knew what he was doing - original trans @157k).
Mileage really doesn't seem to affect the v8's the way it does other motors, but if the motor burns oil or sounds odd, I walk away, I've seen these with over 350k virtually untouched (almost bullet proof)
'96's seem to have more tranny problems than the other 1st gens, I try to stay from them, trans is exclusive to that model year and the '96's are OBD-II.
'94-'95's (220hp stock) shouldn't be going for more than 5k, but if you find one with less than 100k miles expect to see prices near 7k
'92's and '93's (230hp stock) shouldn't be going for more than 3500 to 4k, again 100k or less you'll see these go for 5k are magnum motors with 230hp
'91's (pre-mag with 170hp) shouldn't be higher than 3k, 4k with low miles
'90's and earlier aren't available in the combo you want
If you need more info don't hesitate to ask, I hope I've given you a starting point, I could go for days

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Dakotah, that was really helpful. I don't know if I'm even in the market -- the wagon I drive now technically belongs to my family, so I have to see how that would work out. I just know that if I can get something else, this is what I want to be looking at.

Are prices on these usually significantly lower than a comparable Ram (miles/options/condition about equal)?

Also, 4x4 is my only absolute requirement. Sounds like you really recommend the v8 for any towing, so I guess that is too. I could sway on the cab, I just like the space and would certainly use the seats.

How rare is the manual on a V8? I really would like a standard, I learned on one and wish I owned one, but again, not a deal breaker. Power windows and stuff are also not needed, as I feel in a car this old it would probably be more expensive when it died, and cranks don't bother me.

I also worry because I live in Maine, so anything local I find will likely be rusty. Cosmetically it doesn't bother me, but I'm worried about other complications from it (ie gaping holes in the floor, bad suspension, etc).

Thanks again, your post was very helpful.

Tyler

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.