DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
UCF 2012
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trucks been lowered for a while now and every time I go on the highway I get a small shake.

I can be going 50, 60, 64 and be fine but from 65-75ish the has a side to side shake. The wheel doesn't shake though. So I think its in the back. I notice it can be better or worse depending on the road surface.

I have had it aligned and looked at and they just don't know...

but if anyone did, you guys would.

I think i have those crappy toxic shocks

Thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
Any sign of cupping on your tires?

·
UCF 2012
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can take a photo tomorrow.

If yes, what can I do? Get traction bars?

·
Ram Pwnage
602 Posts
sounds like a tire problem. Alignment will not cause vibration. High speed vibration usually indicates an out of balance tire. For a shock to generate a vibration it would have to be completely blown and letting the axle hop around. Also make sure none of the rear leaf spring bushings are damaged allowing the axle to shift. Check the ujoints in the rear driveshaft too, if one gets loose the shaft can start shaking at high speeds

·
Registered
226 Posts
Im pretty postivie its your wheel balance. Same thing happend to my wifes tahoe. She got a nail in it so took it to the shop to get patched, when we got it back it would drive fine untill you hit 70 and then you would feel a shake. Wasnt in the steering wheel but you can feel it shaking. Took it back to the shop and the rebalanced the tire that was patched and no more shake. Have you had any work on your tires lately or maybe you lost a weight?

·
UCF 2012
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No work on my tires. Its a mystery, the stealership even drove it. They were like its a lowered truck, deal with it.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts

·
Work In Progress
1,321 Posts
I had the same problem. I just switched rims and tires to a smaller tire and it solved my problem. Smooth as glass now. In my situation it was the tires, so I would start there. I currently have a 2/4 drop and went from a 275/60/20 tire to a 275/45/20 tire. World of difference.

·
Work In Progress
1,321 Posts
Also I tried different shocks. Even dug into a book that has all the shock lengths and found some for the rear from a factory 06 1500 crew cab chevy that fit. It gave me a better ride but didn't fix my problem. It was all in the tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.