DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· TWEAKED 4.7
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i just got my 17's day before yesterday (saturday). i finished up the paint yesterday evening. i havent wetsanded and clearcoated yet but it will be coming in the next couple days. im going to have to admit these look badass!!! lol let me know what you guys think! if yall have any questions regarding prep work or anything dont hesitate to ask me...its what we are all here for! enjoy!

btw does anyone know how i can get the overspray off my tires????

Attachments

· Serenity
5,995 Posts
Nice job! I really have had good success with that same paint as well although I save the wetsand and buff until after I spray on the clear coat(s). However, doesn't Duplicolor make a paint just for wheels?

· or no car
1,287 Posts
dude that looks awesome! i actually started painting my stock 17's tonight. i only got one done but it looks pretty good. i even used the same paint you did. i saw your post and a couple others a while back and that inspired me to do mine. thanks! btw i didnt leave the silver lip though. but i have a black truck so i wanted the wheels all blacked out.

· or no car
1,287 Posts
dont mean to hijack your thread but heres a couple pics of mine. ones with the flash the other isnt.

Attachments

· TWEAKED 4.7
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
see the only bad thing about not having a lip is when a tire shop goes to mount they sometimes arent careful and theyll chip them. thanks for the compliments btw!

· You've been Hijacked
15,407 Posts
looks good, but I think the 20's you had looked better on your truck. Did you switch to 17's for less weight?

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Awsome, really like your results.

Got some questions, can you guys please help.

1. Can this be done with the stock steel wheels on a 2500?

2. Did you sand first, what paper size, then prime, sand and the paint?

3. Did you do all this with the wheels on the truck?

· Registered
28,764 Posts
Hurst said:
nice work but the 20's looked so much better.
Would you be interested in painting my 17's? I have painted wheels before, but I would like to have these done professionaly. PM me with a price if you are interested. I have them at the house already, so I could bring them by whenever you have time.

· TWEAKED 4.7
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks colin lol! i have ALWAYS respected your opinion BUT i do like the final product. yes i sanded but i used a little too course (i would suggest 350 or so) at colins advice i went back and resanded with a scotch brite pad (the red ones) which helped A LOT - thanks colin (you were right ok!! lol). the sealer/paints (the universal black T100 is the black i used) i used were posted in the first pic i posted at the top. i dont see why it wouldnt work with the 2500 wheels. no i wouldnt do it on the truck. i had to take one off, sand it, put it back on, take another off and sand it and put it back on...etc. i did this with each stage (prep, prime, paint). theyll be a little more finished looking with the clear coats (they actually look pretty finished already but i know the clear will help a lot for durability). i believe colin does them on the truck BUT i dont have the access to covers and paint booths so i had to be careful of over spray. if you are going to paint your own i would suggest taking them away from your truck! thanks for the compliments yall!

· TWEAKED 4.7
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can someone help me with my question!!! lol i need to get the overspray off my tires...help me out guys! thanks in advance!

· Registered
22,981 Posts
Just use a scotch brite pad and some soap. Should take the overspray off. If not get some comet/ajax and a scrub brush.

KB

· Serenity
5,995 Posts
Since this particular Duplicolor paint is lacquer based, you could try some acrylic lacquer thinner as well. Since the lacquer does not have a re-coat window, it essentially "re-dissolves" a bit when the next coat is applied, so the thinner works pretty well on over spray. I am sure what KB said works fine as well - I just brought it up thinking that the scotch bright might scuff up the rubber a bit. Maybe try the scotch bright on the inside of the tire to see if that is a problem. I think you can get the thinner at Home Depot - it is cheaper than the Duplicolor thinner that they sell at the auto parts store.

· TWEAKED 4.7
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks guys for the tips! i agree with you! any stockers look better blacked out!!! haha

· RAIDER FAN
2,968 Posts
Looks awesome!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.