DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance nedds a new ride I am not savy to DC products other than the HD pickups I have a 06 2500 cummins :rck: before this I have always been a GM guy. We would really like to get her a brand new tahoe but do not think that it is the best choice money wise right now bout 37k :mad: for what we want. Started looking at Durangos and even Jeep GC which we can get one a year old for about 20k appears as though alot of the drivetrain features are the same can some one shed some light on this Ie engine options trannys etc also what are some of the pros and cons of the 2. It looks like from an outsiders perspective that the Jeep is alittle bit more uptown and the durango a little more truck no disrespect to either. I am also absolutely getting a 4x4. Are the 07 durangos different? HELP :help:

·
Registered
91 Posts
There are two engine options with the 4x4: The 5.7 hemi and the 4.7. I have the 4.7 with the 3.92 gears (standard is 3.55, unless you have the tow package). I think the 4.7 has adequate power, but not outstanding. It pulls my popup camper easily. The hemi would give you substantially more hp and torque. It also does not seem to have much worse gas mileage than the 4.7. I get about 15 in the city, and 19 on the highway. From what I hear, the hemi gets maybe 1 mpg or so worse. The reason I didn't get the hemi was up-front costs.

There is only one tranny available with the V-8's, a 5 speed auto. It's a good tranny, but I wish it had the option of locking it into 3rd gear. Instead, the tow/haul mode locks it out of 5th, and the next choice is 2nd. Other than that, I like it.

The 4x4 gives you the option of either AWD or 4-hi (locking center differential). An optional tranny gives you the option of 4-lo as well for stump-pulling.

My wife really loves the Durango. She finds it easier to drive than our old minivan. And I'd rather be seen driving the D than a Grand Voyager!

Good luck!

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
The Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ the Hemi is pretty sweet, and fast! If I was going into the SUV Market I would either have to have the Jeep Grand Cherokee or the Commander. Either way, the only engine I would get is the Hemi. I'm too big a fan of my Hemi to ever down grade to something smaller.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you do go for a Durango, try and get a used one. The depreciation on a new one is almost 45% after the first year. They are great vehicles but the market just doesn't let them hold their value.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I just got my wife and 06 Hemi Durango 4x4 Limited for about $30,000 (sticker was $38,700).
I am 6'4 220 and I fit in it very comfortably. Has loads of leg room, and will seat 6 reg size people comfortably...7-8 for short trips.
After test driving the 4.7 and the Hemi...there is just no comparision. The 4.7 feels pretty anemic to me, I'm used to driving a Cherokee 4.0 HO and a 97 Ram V8.

The 4x4 gives you the option of either AWD or 4-hi (locking center differential). An optional tranny gives you the option of 4-lo as well for stump-pulling.
Both the 141 and the 241HD transfer case have 4 Lock and 4 Lo, regardless of tranny.

If you get the limited with the towing group, it will come with a 241HD x-fer case, and a 545FRE tranny. Not too bad of a combo. There is no 2HI, it's either AWD, 4 LOCK, and 4 LO. The latter of the 2 lock the transfer case.
Also has oil & tranny cooler, integrated class IV hitch, 4 pin flat & 5 pin round trailer connectors.

The only somewhat negative things I have to say about it is:
the AWD not keeping the tires planted. Pulling out into traffic I have had it bark the tires on several occasions. Not flooring it off the line, just putting it about 1/2 way down from a stop to merge.
The DVD entertainment system is great, has 7.1 ch surround sound (or wireless headphones) but the controls on the steering wheel for the DVD & the CD changer are a bit awkward.
The engineers overcame this obstacle somewhat with the remote that comes with it, but the idea of the buttons on the steering wheel is so you don't have to take your eyes off the road or the hands off the wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.