DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi with 94,000 miles. I bought the truck new and have had zero problems with it. Last night I noticed a slight miss in the engine. Next, it stalled on me at about 25 mph. It started right back up, but idled a little rough. After I parked it, I went out to start it and it started right up, but this time I got the Malfunction Indicator Light on the instrument panel. It stayed on solid. I didn't drive the truck anywhere. I let it run for about 5 minutes. When I shut it down and got out, there was a very strong odor around the exhaust. Smelled like fuel that hadn't burned properly. Anybody know what's happening here?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

· 6.1 FTW
2,332 Posts
Might be getting misfires. Check the code (use key trick) or go to autozone and have them check your codes for you. My predicition would be the ole "Multiple Cylinder Misfire" as to why that would start happening - no idea.

· Registered
854 Posts
You either have a fuel injector failure, which I highly doubt, sooo your spark plug failed, or your coil failed. THe key trick is key on to acc, not start, then off, then on, then off, then on. On off three times, and staying ON for the third turn. You should get a code on your dash.....

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I tried the "key trick" Did it several ways, on 3 times and then off fast, on 3 times then off slow, etc. etc. then left it on after the 3rd time. Didn't get any code to come up. What am I doing wrong?

· Registered
83 Posts
you turn the key on and off three times, leaving it on the last time. should take 3-4 seconds literally. if you did it right it should have a code in the odometer or at least say "done". hope this helps

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took it up to Advance Auto Parts and had them scan it. Code P0306 came up. Misfiring of #6 cylinder detected. What do you guys think. Coil, spark plug, injector? Anybody had any experience with this? If so, any idea of cost to fix?

· 6.1 FTW
2,332 Posts
You could pull those plugs and see if they are fouled. #6 is one of the easy ones to get to. If you had a coil problem I expect you'd see problems on #1 also. #6 is the third cylinder from the front on the pass side. Verify by looking at the markings on the coil wires which should say "1/6".

· Registered
2,611 Posts
The key trick does not work on 04's.

From the service manual, possible causes;

LOW FUEL
OTHER DTC’S
DAMAGED FUEL LINES
VALVE TRAIN
OBSTRUCTED FUEL INJECTOR SUPPLY LINES
DAMAGED OR OBSTRUCTED HIGH PRESSURE CONNECTORS
EXTERNAL DAMAGED FUEL INJECTORS
INTERNAL DAMAGED FUEL INJECTOR
NO COMPRESSION
EXCESSIVE ENGINE LEAK DOWN

· All Around Great Guy
12,739 Posts
Pull both plugs and inspect for damage or deposits, also gap. See if the gap is excessive... If they are original it will be excessively worn, new plugs go in at .040
Pull #4 coil and switch it out to #6 cyl, If the code goes to 304, you have a bad coil, if it stays the same(306 code) you should look to see if there is a injector problem. With the engine running put your finger on the #6 injector, it should be clicking away. Since it was not running terribly rough i would say it is either a worn plug or you need some injector cleaner. Before you remove anything check to see that the connections are tight and there is no water down in the spark plug holes...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.