DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My truck has about 31000 miles on it, and I was wondering what kind of maintenance should be done on it. I talked to the guy at the dealership a couple of weeks ago. He tried to sell me the whole package, plugs, transmission service, rear end service, coolant flush, etc. About $1000 worth of service. Said it had to be done every 30K miles. Told him I'd prob just do it myself, couldn't justify spending that much money on things I can do myself. Just wondering how much of that is BS and what really needs to be done. I wouldn't think most of that stuff needs to be done til at least 50K , but just wanna find out for sure.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The 30k services do call for alot of stuff to be done. I paid ~$700 for mine.

oil change, tranny service, x-case fluid, both diffs, coolant flush. The plugs are supposed to be changed but I did that myself to save some $$.

·
Registered
595 Posts
that coolant is 5 year or 50,000 miles in our trucks, not to mention that if you go by the non harsh driving schedual it never tells you to change the trans fluid

·
Code 3 Rammer
510 Posts
I did all of the recommended service's myself. Definitely save some money. The most difficult thing is the tranny. Here is a great write up (and pics) on how to do a complete fluid swap on the tranny:

http://www.60ateight.com/DodgeRam/

Did everything that the service schedule says to do in two nights. Could have done it in one, but had to make a couple of unexpected trips to the 24hr Autozone.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I'd do the diff's and the transfer case and plugs. Unless your towing, I'd hold off on the transmission. The coolant, like mentioned earlier, should be good for like 5 years or 100-150k miles or something.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll prob just do the diff and the plugs then. Don't do much towing except maybe pulling a jackhammer compressor once or twice a week.

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
I had the diffs, tranny done as well, $447.56 for transmission service and oil change, another $270.00+ for diffs and transfer case. I know it is expensive, but I would hate to find out what it would cost to repair those items....the warranty requires that you service them or prove they have been serviced within the recommended intervals set out in the owner's manual. They may decline to repair under warranty if the parts should fail due to neglect. So you're pretty much damned if you do and damned if you don't

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.