DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the next couple of days, I'll be doing the routine maintenance, oil and filter etc.
I will also be changing the air filter, (5.9 1997 Ram) Any reason to spray down the throttle body with carb cleaner, including the throat?
yes? No?
Thanks and a happy and profitable New Year to ya all :thatfunny

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
there is specific throttle body cleaner, a little different that just carb cleaner

but to answer you question: yes, I would clean out the TB while you have everything off

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, anyother quicky suggestions to keep the beast running smooth?

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
I'd go all out and put in a good synthetic oil in the engine and a new

I'd recommend NGK plugs and a nice quality set of plug wires

Get a NAPA dist cap with the brass inserts for best spark contact (or Accel brand)

Put a new PCV valve in for sure

if its a high mileage truck, get a bottle of SEA FOAM and use it BEFORE you put in your new plugs

definately will help

good luck and keep us posted on your project

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm definitely using Seafoam. I'll have to pass on the synthetic oil, I suspect a valve guide leakage, using about a quart every 2500 miles.

Just enough to annoy, but not enough to fix.
It's giving good service; 16 mpg at freeway 55 to 60 with cruise control on.
Sometime I have to try the starter switch twice before it catches .... switched all the appropriate relays and no change, so I suspect I'll do a starter rebuild before I start traveling this summer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About 2 years - two months. Terminals lean and coated. It's a upgraded Les Schwab house brand.
I've noted the various lights on the dash go dim when I hit starter and neg. results.

·
Diego Serna
420 Posts
What cleaner would you guys recommend? I just got my 01 1500 back from the dealer ship and they suggested cleaning th TB.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
By the way, do NOT spray throttlebody cleaner down the TB while it is on the engine. All that does is wash all that carbon and debris down into the intake manifold were it will eventually foul your plugs. The only correct way to clean the TB is to remove it from the engine, and clean it up nice while it is on your workbench. I do mine about twice a year, it's not hard at all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a 'stringer' at the bottom of this thread showing how to clean the TB.
Was going to do it, but dealership closed for the Holiday,
If that thread is not accurate, someone advise?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.