DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about ready to trade in my '04 PT Cruiser for a Magnum. The PT is fun, but just not big enough to carry the stuff(tm) I need on a daily basis and a truck is not an option.

Although I would love the Hemi (absolutely no substitute for cubic horsepower), I am concerned about mileage. The SE is not in consideration, so I'm between the SXT and RT. The cost difference is not that great after I equip an SXT with heated leather seats and the 6 CD changer, so the big question IS mileage.

What are RT and SXT owners actually getting both around town and on 100mile plus trips?

Oh yes, when I'm on the freeway, it's usually at 75 - 80 with cruise and air on. Target is 26+ in that area and 19+ around town (what my 2000 Impala LS used to get).

Thanks,

jdg

·
Registered
205 Posts
you won't get that.

My RT gets 19-20 on cruise at 80.
around town I get between 12 and 17 depending on how much fun I am having, usually 12...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I drive between Tallahassee and Pensacola, Florida on the interstate frequently. On one trip I set the cruise control on 70 and reset the mileage computer. When I got off of the interstate the trip computer read 24 mpg. No one else in the car. It was a cool morning when I left, so I did not use the A/C much.

On another trip I drove mostly 80, on and off the cruise and got about 19 mpg. Both trips included one rest stop. This trip included my wife and son, plus luggage. This trip used the A/C full time.

My around town mileage corresponds with dantodd also, depending on how much I use the Hemi. My around town mileage is suburban, not urban.

If you are that concerned with mileage, get the SXT. You will be able to drive it without an egg under your accelerator foot to keep the mileage under control. From what I understand the 3.5 is no slug in the Magnum. A friend of mine has the 3.5 in a Pacifica, which must weigh about the same as a Magnum, and she is happy with it.

If you buy the RT and don't use it for fear of hurting your mileage, you might as well not have it.

·
Mineral Grey Metallic SXT
100 Posts
It's no slug at all. But alas it is no V8. But, I get 20mpg in town in my SXT and haven't really taken any 100mi roadtrips to give you a highway mpg reading.

·
Registered
608 Posts
With my RT, I get about 18 in the city and 22+ on the road (if I keep my foot under control). On a recent 1700 mile trip, with city and highway combined, I averaged about 21 mpg. Not bad.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have abought 4800 mile on my Magnum.
Average 16.8 MPG.

I attached the spreadsheet I used to track cost per mile.
On the second sheet "Cost Entries" you can see MPG for each fill-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an SXT with just over 11k miles now. As a general rule to and from work (16 miles one way) and then in town throughout the week I get about 21. Running 5 over the speed limit (70 in a 65/75 in a 70) nets right at 26. I have made to 300 mile runs at 80 just to see what she would do ... 22 both trips. Seems that 70 to 75 is the sweet spot for mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a really short commute so I won't mention my city MPG.

Highway is a different story. I took a 1,500 mile round trip to Austin last month and here are my numbers:

Car was loaded with luggage and three passengers. Traffic was light until I reached Austin where we hit about 45 minutes of rush hour traffic.

First leg to OKC: Speed Limit 75, Cruise set at 80. No traffic, one stop for breakfast. Hit some moderate traffic in Tulsa and then OKC. Filled up the tank and came up with 22mpg.

Next Leg, OKC to Austin. Speed Limit mostly 70, Cruise set at 75 (except for the aforementioned time in Austin rush hour). Filled the tank the day after getting in to Austin (and maybe 50-75 miles of city driving). MPG calculated to 24 MPG.

Coming back, I got the exact same - it seems that at every 5mph lowers your MPG by 2. This backed up my only other trip which was 100 miles round trip. Speed limit 65, cruise set at 70. MPG was 26.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a SXT and use it daily for my commute which is 57 miles round trip, some highway, some surface streets. I routinely get 21-23 and I am not driving it easy. I exercise all 250 horses regularly.

I can't report on a long trip yet, but I am leaving Friday morning headed for Charlotte for the All Star race. This is about 230 miles each way, so I should get a good highway figure by Monday.

I had a RT as a loaner last month for a couple days. Driving the same way I do in the SXT, I got no better than 16 mpg, calculated, not via the computer. I see no reason to change my driving style to get the higher mileage. If you have to change your style, why bother getting something with that much more power, when you can't use it anyway.

·
Registered
205 Posts
One gets something with that much more power because they enjoy exercising 340 horses rather than 250. :)

However; I agree that if fuel economy is an important issue and you still want a competent performing vehicle the SXT is an excellent choice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
17-18 mpg day to day. 23+ on road trips.

My day to day (round trip) is 24 miles hwy, 24 miles of city driving. I take advantage of the HEMI when I can (passing slow fools in the fast lane), but otherwise driving it like a normal person would.

·
Registered
30 Posts
17-18 daya to day. 20-22 freeway 70-85 MPH

·
Hemi Driving Pastor!
67 Posts
I went from a PT Cruiser to a R/T. My PT mileage was 19-25, my R/T (with an admittedly light foot) is 18-23. Not having to plan passing and lane changes 2 minutes in advance is the biggest noticable difference in driving the 2 cars. I still miss the seating position of the PT and all of the suspension mods I did that made it ride like a go-kart....no body roll, just flat cornering and tight!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just completed the Atlanta-Charlotte_Atlanta trip for the All Star Race and got a calculated 24.6 on the trip. This was mostly highway, 75-80 mph, with some (but not much this year) sitting in race traffic.

·
Registered
164 Posts
On cruise at 60mph I get 23 MAX! Forget about around town I have an extremely heavy anvil foot!

If you are looking for MPG then the SXT is the way to go hands down. If you want big horsepower then the R/T is the whip to get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SteveS. said:
I just completed the Atlanta-Charlotte_Atlanta trip for the All Star Race and got a calculated 24.6 on the trip. This was mostly highway, 75-80 mph, with some (but not much this year) sitting in race traffic.
Ditto on my mileage (sxt), very consistent with yours.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.