DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, been thinking about possibly picking up a Magnum R/T eventually and was wondering what type of gas mileage everyone is getting with the HEMI? Also, with your gas mileage what type of driving do you do and is it heavy footed or light footed driving? Thank you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My RT is 2 weeks young...I'm averaging 17 MPG with a mix of light driving and pedal to the metal. I've head very little highway miles...95% have been around town. I'm NOT complaining, my Mini-van didn't get much better than 18 MPG.

·
Registered
69 Posts
All city driving with an average of 12 mpg, or less according to the EVIC. I've never manually checked it. I've had my RT for 7 months now and I can tell you gas mileage is all about MDS. If you can get the HEMI rolling and keep MDS engaged about half the time you'll do pretty well. High teens and low 20's. If MDS only engages in short bursts your mileage will tank! My personal high mpg is 24.4. I filled up right by the interstate and then reset the EVIC. Once on the interstate I set the cruise at 80. MDS was engaged for well over 90% of that tank full. I have the Borla 140125 system, so I know when MDS is engaged and when it isn't engaged!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just drove from Dallas 5 hours to Central Louisiana and averaged 22.4mpg. I even had a couple of times where I really got on it. . .

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've been using 87 for about 8 months now and discovered the same thing, except not that much difference. I only gain about one mpg. I've even used 85 a couple times, with no ill effects, when driving in higher altitudes. Where I live is 2800 ft. elevation, so 87 shouldn't be a problem anyway. Some folks at lower elevations and higher temperatures most certainly will need higher octane. Also, places that use ethenol or methenol, or reformulated fuels will probably get less mileage. My personal best on a recent 800 mile trip (2500-7000 ft.) was 29.8 on one 227 mile leg, and 29.6 on the final 190 mile leg. I drive 60-70 mph with an occasional WOT blast, and I have my MDS "on" indicator light, which also helps. I also have my home built double wall, triple insulated CAI, which delivers true intake air temp. from 3 degrees below ambient to 2 degrees above ambient on the highway...never higher.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Unless you pack the thing with ice, how do you get intake air "below ambient"???

The RT can get amazing mileage given its size, weight and performance. You quickly learn that blowing by all those ricers to the upramp to the highway uses as much fuel as your whole trip ON the highway.

So if you want to drive like your grandfather, you get amazing mileage. Feel the blood warm and heart race occasionally you'll get good mileage. Succumb to highway Gotterdammerung and you will applaud your conquests with the crowd at the gas station.

·
Registered
366 Posts
desquirrel,
Don't know, but I am just telling you what shows on the EVIC vs. the remote reading thermometer in the intake. Could be a difference in calibration, expanding ram air from second intake tube behind the grill , lag in response time, position of EVIC sensor, or ??? Around town with engine cold I routinely show one degree below the EVIC ambient. Never saw the 2-3 degree difference until my last highway trip. Those below ambients also occurred only when engine was cold and warming up prior to any potential heat soak. Also, on that trip I found that WOT 0-cruise takes away less mpg than slowly accelerating to cruise for a mile or so. That might be because 0-cruise at WOT only takes 5 seconds or so, whereas, 0-cruise at light throttle might take a minute or so. Strange! I also found that stopping to take a pee break really kills the mileage, some of which takes many miles to get back, if ever. I've also thought of putting a chunk of dry ice in the intake airbox and see if it helps at the strip. Suppose to gain about 1% power for every 11 degrees decrease in intake temp. Might even try it around town, just to see what it does to intake temp. I just put everything back to stock and am going to do some un-scientific tests and compare them to my mods. First findings are less noise and considerably higher true intake air temps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On a recent round trip from Anaheim to Julian, CA I got 24Mpg. That included freeway and mountain roads. Might have got a little more but had the air cond. on part way and had to stomp on it a few times to pass slow motor homes and those towing trailers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys looks like I'll stick to my Ram for a bit even though she only has a 4.7L V8. I'm getting between 17-18 mpg on the highway cruising 63 mph with it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello Everyone,
My name is Aliyah, I’m a Marketing Representatives with the Dodge Information Center. I was wondering if anyone would mind if I joined in on this discussion.

Aliyah Z
Marketing Representative- Dodge Information Center
1-800-4ADodge/1-800-423-6343
[email protected]
www.Dodge.com

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks IRock...

I came across this thread and I just wanted to add “my two cents” on the gas Mileage for the Dodge Magnum RT.

According to our product resources the EPA has rated the Dodge Magnum RT (and you all seem to agree with these figures) to be 17/25 (city/hwy) RWD and the AWD 17/24. Of course as you guys know the highs and lows in numbers can depend on many factors, but to quote tampahemi “gas mileage is all about MDS”. The 2005 Dodge Magnum RT was the first modern production vehicle in North America to feature cylinder deactivation, and increase fuel economy from 5 to 20 percent based on driving habits.
Anyway, Thanks for letting my share my information....

If there are any questions or comments for me please free to ask, I’ll be here…

Aliyah Z
[email protected]
www.Dodge.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
DodgeInfoCenter said:
Thanks IRock...

I came across this thread and I just wanted to add “my two cents” on the gas Mileage for the Dodge Magnum RT.

According to our product resources the EPA has rated the Dodge Magnum RT (and you all seem to agree with these figures) to be 17/25 (city/hwy) RWD and the AWD 17/24. Of course as you guys know the highs and lows in numbers can depend on many factors, but to quote tampahemi “gas mileage is all about MDS”. The 2005 Dodge Magnum RT was the first modern production vehicle in North America to feature cylinder deactivation, and increase fuel economy from 5 to 20 percent based on driving habits.
Anyway, Thanks for letting my share my information....

If there are any questions or comments for me please free to ask, I’ll be here…

Aliyah Z
[email protected]
www.Dodge.com
Aliyah, I have a question. Exactly how does MDS work? I have heard a few different answers. Is the activation based on speed, RPMs, accellerator depression, a combination? Basically I'm trying to find out how much fun I can have while still enjoying the best gas mileage.

·
Registered
366 Posts
DodgeInfoCenter,
Welcome to the board. I am sure you will be able to provide us with a wealth of information. I don't know if you've seen any of the threads that talk about the MDS mod. I've done to my RT. It is a MDS "on" indicator light which tells me when the MDS is active. I did this mod. by tapping into the No. 4 cylinder MDS solenoid activation wire. I use an illuminated rocker switch for the light. This way I can turn it off if I want....however I never have turned it off. It definitely helps on the mileage to know when it is active, plus I can coax the MDS to come on at some slower speeds. On highway trips I have gotten as high as 29.8 mpg over a 227 mile leg, and that was using 85 octane fuel. Altitude for that leg was 4000-7000 ft. so lower octane works well. Also speed plays a big factor. I just completed a 260 mile day trip yesterday and got almost 2 mpg less at 70 mph than I did at 60 mph. Oh, by the way, my RT just past the 7000 mile mark yesterday, and there have been many questions as to whether there is a "7000 mile wake up" on these cars. Some say yes, some say no. What's your take? I know my gas mileage has continued to improve with more miles on the car. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My milage so far - 4836 miles averaging 19.17 mpg, combination of city and highway. Best mileage so far is 21.96 mpg and worst is 17.02 mpg - 89 Octane only.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Warranties are a sales gimmick. Like rebates and 0% financing. If you don't need them, you don't offer them. DC started out with a small incentive and the warranty because it didn't know if the befuddled morons suffering from FWD syndrome would buy the car. Now that it is a sales hit, you drop the frou-frou.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm getting about 18.5 average with combined city/hwy driving. City driving eats the gas. On straight highway driving I got between 20.5 and 21, with 2800 miles on car. The dealer told me that using Mobil 1 may help and that at 5000 miles the engine will loosen up and get better milage, but that the motor isn't classified as broken in until 10,000, and that's when the milage should go up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.