1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my
Magnaflow Stainless cat back
JBA Stainless Ceramic coated headers

It started to rust in some places! (see pics) :(. Seems it is not true stainless steel :huh:
Someone has experience with it? How to check it?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
That is the weld bead. I could not tell you the type of welding rod was used but I would not worry about it. FYI stainless is non magnetic.

Also, there are various types of stainless. There are grades of stainless that do surface rust but they are not going to rust through. I have JBA stainless headers and they are rusted on the surface.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I also have the Titanium Ceramic coated JBA headers and stainless cat-back. Like Neil, my headers also have surface rust. My cat back also has it around the welds. I have had no problems at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have believed "it will never rust". One more victim of the marketing :1owned:
Dunno where benefit of expensive "ceramic coating" if it will rust and fall out anyway?

By the way, how fast it rusted?
..... I hope at least the sound will be good.

Anyway thanks for info.

·
Registered
168 Posts
dfog said:
Just received my
Magnaflow Stainless cat back
JBA Stainless Ceramic coated headers

It started to rust in some places! (see pics) :(. Seems it is not true stainless steel :huh:
Someone has experience with it? How to check it?

Thank you!
What you are experiencing is surface rust which is not detrimental to the system’s integrity. Surface rust usually occurs in excessive humid or wet conditions and particularly in areas where the roads are salted. This can be easily cleaned off with a scouring pad or a Scotch Brite sponge with soap and water. Stainless will not rust through however stainless is still susceptible to surface rust due to its physical properties. The system does carry a lifetime warranty against being rusted through. If you have any additional questions please give us a call.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Neil F. said:
That is the weld bead. I could not tell you the type of welding rod was used but I would not worry about it. FYI stainless is non magnetic.

Also, there are various types of stainless. There are grades of stainless that do surface rust but they are not going to rust through. I have JBA stainless headers and they are rusted on the surface.
Thats Wrong Some Stainless Steel applications are Magnetic. Due to the higher content of nickel in 409 a magnet will stick to the surface of the pipe.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey Chris,
I never new Nickel to be semi ferromagnetic. I looked it up and sure enough you are right! I always thought it was a lower grade stainless that caused the magnet to stick to it, and also causing the rust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.