DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new to this site and this topic has probably been brought up many times before, but i'll ask anyway. I got a 97 Ram with the 318 and it has 140,000 miles on 'er. It's got a lot of miles on it but it sure is strong. Anyway, I got the 40 series flowmaster put on and recently been tossing around the idea of getting the Magnaflow cat put on. Basically what i'm asking is, would it be worth it with such high miles on my truck? and also how much louder would it be? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
85 Posts

i gutted my cat and to me it sounds better and i got the super 44 on her but i thought it would more of a deeper rumble but i dont think it does ive heard other dodges that sound alot better but i dont know what muff they have or if they have the highflow cat on there, Now i havent had my check engine come at all so if you want cut it off a gut it and weld it back up

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I've thought of that too, I just was curious about the high-flow cat because I just wasn't sure on how it helps the sound and performance. I suppose I can just try gutting it and see how it sounds.

·
Mother Mopar
504 Posts
Ive thought about running a magnaflow Hi-flow cat and just taking the mufflers off. That way I dont have to worry about o2 sensors and it gives you that nice loud sound and a little pop but thats just me:dunno:

·
Mother Mopar
504 Posts
I do know some people who have hi-flows and they swear by them. From what ive heard on other trucks the help out alot with the sound but im not sure of all the hp gains and such.:teacher:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it's just one of those things where I can't decide haha. But thanks for your input guys!

·
Mother Mopar
504 Posts
Hey I understand that, Ive been tossing up ideas for a while. This thread is helping me decide

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just bought a K&N cold air intake for my truck yesterday, havn't had chance to put it on yet but with that and the High-flow converter, i'm thinking it would be the best air flow.

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
The magnaflow high flow converter assembly (with the y-pipe) is the shiz-nit for flow & sound.
I am very pleased with mine, been running it for about 5 years now.
I can vouch for the increased flow rate as it woke the headers up regarding pulling power & sound.

·
truckman323
466 Posts
I got a magnaflow hi-flow cat and full flow muffler, 3" all the way out. I had the muffler on first, and with that high flow cat it definitely was louder and i could feel a little more low end. That cat really just made the tone a lot smoother, and the louder part was nice to.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot for your input guys, appreciate it!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool man, just ordered mine today! Hope I get same results you all have gotten.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just went to the local exhaust shop to have high-flow cat installed...they said installing it would be no different than the one i got. Now I know for a fact I don't have a high-flow cat on my truck, so now i'm confused. Who thinks their BS'ing me?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No it's not stock, when I had the Flowmasters put on they put a new cat on but it's definately not a Magnaflow cat. The heat shield fell off my old one too, part of my argument lol.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no it is not.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.