DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bit the bullet and decided to put a new exhaust system on the D. It consists of a Magnaflow 12289 muffler, 3" SS Pipe, and a 3.5" Magnaflow slant cut rolled edge tip. All in all it cost $314. Had I bought the muffler and tip on my own i probably would have saved $50, but I wanted the exhaust done now so I paid for it. They also got me in and out in just over an hour and did a great job. Anyway, on to the nitty gritty

I went with the side exhaust because I think that coming out of the back on one side with a 3" pipe just does not look good. I know many of you have done it and if you are happy with it that's all that matters because you paid for it. I have always loved the look of the side swept exhausts and am glad that I went with it. Here are pics of the new exhaust.

The exhaust was press bent and not mandrel bent but when you have 3" pipe it's not that big of a flow loss IMO. I don't think it did all that much in terms of performance. I think the biggest thing is that it makes me giddy like a school girl when I get on it. That's what I was going for. The following are some videos taken of the exhaust.

Start up and Rev - It was quite windy today so if you want me to redo the clip I can. Just let me know. Also the camera might have been too close since you can see the vapor hit the lens.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WLY0Rvc76k

Rolling Take Off Inside vehicle. Sorry for the phone call at the end of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdamyjhPLg4

Now for reality. The drone that plagues so many of our D's is ever present and will either take some time to get used to or drive me mad and make me do something about it. Here's what it sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmaMCDhVcmQ

All in all I am happy with it except for the drone. Listening to it from right at the bumper you can tell that it resonates there. Trying to listen to it from the passenger side while driving it seems to be quieter so it must be that the way the D's interior is shaped the driver gets pounded. When I had my VW there were fiberglass packing inserts for the stingers. Im wondering if I could get something like that to place in the tail pipe. Maybe one of those car chemistry inserts for headers, just cut the flange off and tack it into the pipe. All in good time I guess.

Let me know what you think and if anyone wants more information, pics, sound, or video let me know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Where did you have the work done? Was it a national chain by any chance? Looking to do the same type of setup to mine.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A place called Muff-it Mufflers in League City. I try to stay away from chains for exhaust and most other work because they are expensive and usually only do things one way. Mike, the owner is really into offshore racing and does alot with the conservation or Clear Creek so for me he wins my business even though I could have done it somewhere else for cheaper. I went in and said this is what I want and btw I want a side exit.. He wasn't sure if his bender would allow him to but it did and I ended up with exhaust that I love (minus the drone)

Btw I will be working on getting the drone out. I have found some good stuff from some of the motorcycle and hot rod forums about how to reduce the drone.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A place called Muff-it Mufflers in League City. I try to stay away from chains for exhaust and most other work because they are expensive and usually only do things one way. Mike, the owner is really into offshore racing and does alot with the conservation or Clear Creek so for me he wins my business even though I could have done it somewhere else for cheaper. I went in and said this is what I want and btw I want a side exit.. He wasn't sure if his bender would allow him to but it did and I ended up with exhaust that I love (minus the drone)

Btw I will be working on getting the drone out. I have found some good stuff from some of the motorcycle and hot rod forums about how to reduce the drone.
I will be curious what you do to cure the drone. I have a Gibson exhaust setup, and the drone can get tiresome on long road trips. Good luck.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I will be curious what you do to cure the drone. I have a Gibson exhaust setup, and the drone can get tiresome on long road trips. Good luck.
Hey, not to rob the thread here, if so, im sorry!! But, i might be ordering a Gibson setup, single-in single-out. How do you like your system, besides the drone i guess.. Any noticeable power gains? How's the sound?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well I bit the bullet and decided to put a new exhaust system on the D. It consists of a Magnaflow 12289 muffler, 3" SS Pipe, and a 3.5" Magnaflow slant cut rolled edge tip. All in all it cost $314. Had I bought the muffler and tip on my own i probably would have saved $50, but I wanted the exhaust done now so I paid for it. They also got me in and out in just over an hour and did a great job. Anyway, on to the nitty gritty

I went with the side exhaust because I think that coming out of the back on one side with a 3" pipe just does not look good. I know many of you have done it and if you are happy with it that's all that matters because you paid for it. I have always loved the look of the side swept exhausts and am glad that I went with it. Here are pics of the new exhaust.

The exhaust was press bent and not mandrel bent but when you have 3" pipe it's not that big of a flow loss IMO. I don't think it did all that much in terms of performance. I think the biggest thing is that it makes me giddy like a school girl when I get on it. That's what I was going for. The following are some videos taken of the exhaust.

Start up and Rev - It was quite windy today so if you want me to redo the clip I can. Just let me know. Also the camera might have been too close since you can see the vapor hit the lens.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WLY0Rvc76k

Rolling Take Off Inside vehicle. Sorry for the phone call at the end of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdamyjhPLg4

Now for reality. The drone that plagues so many of our D's is ever present and will either take some time to get used to or drive me mad and make me do something about it. Here's what it sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmaMCDhVcmQ

All in all I am happy with it except for the drone. Listening to it from right at the bumper you can tell that it resonates there. Trying to listen to it from the passenger side while driving it seems to be quieter so it must be that the way the D's interior is shaped the driver gets pounded. When I had my VW there were fiberglass packing inserts for the stingers. Im wondering if I could get something like that to place in the tail pipe. Maybe one of those car chemistry inserts for headers, just cut the flange off and tack it into the pipe. All in good time I guess.

Let me know what you think and if anyone wants more information, pics, sound, or video let me know.
Nice system and nice sound for a great price!! Im still exhaust shopping, i wish we had shops that cheap around here!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Rich86
If you buy the muffler from Summit Racing it's 99.99 with 9.89 s&h. Get a chrome tip for 10 bucks and im sure that you can find a shop to do the job. Contrary to popular belief chrome will last if you keep it clean. I had duals on my intrepid with chrome and they were just fine. This time I figure I'm not in college anymore so I could spring for SS.

@aypanthony
I think im going to build a baffle to go in the tip. We'll see, otherwise ill have to add a resonator. I really love the sound, it's just that drone. Ive narrowed it down to between 32-45hz.

·
Registered
451 Posts
@Rich86
If you buy the muffler from Summit Racing it's 99.99 with 9.89 s&h. Get a chrome tip for 10 bucks and im sure that you can find a shop to do the job. Contrary to popular belief chrome will last if you keep it clean. I had duals on my intrepid with chrome and they were just fine. This time I figure I'm not in college anymore so I could spring for SS.

Thanks for the info chesterspot. Ill def look into that. I love the dual look on our D's

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@aypanthony

I am still working on figuring out how to kill the drone. I love the sound of it, it just annoys the crap out of me between 1700-2000rpm. Anyway, I have a few questions for you.

1. If you lean over and put your head as far over into the passenger side as you can does the drone lessen?
2. Do you feel a buzzing vibration at your feet when the drone is at it's peak?
3. Where are your hangers located? Stock or did you have to add one in a non stock location?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I disagree. I had the Magnaflow Cat-back with the tip out the back and I eventually removed it because of this reason. If you're drving around town or quick trips on the freeway it's not that bad but long trips the droning just wears you out. I think the drone is there on all exhausts regarless of type. The difference is that on a car or truck there's something between the passenger compartment and the exhaust outlet, i.e. trunk, bed, which helps insulate the drone. Our D don't have enough (if any) insulation inside the reat hatch and in my opinion that's where the sound penetrates and the open interior just amplifies the sound. My 2 cents....

·
Registered
377 Posts
@aypanthony

I am still working on figuring out how to kill the drone. I love the sound of it, it just annoys the crap out of me between 1700-2000rpm. Anyway, I have a few questions for you.

1. If you lean over and put your head as far over into the passenger side as you can does the drone lessen?
2. Do you feel a buzzing vibration at your feet when the drone is at it's peak?
3. Where are your hangers located? Stock or did you have to add one in a non stock location?
1) Yes, the drone hammers the driver. The passenger side doesn't seem to be as loud.
2) No buzz at my feet.
3) All the hangers use the stock locations.

Once the weather warms up, I was going to try and use some sound deadener to reduce the drone from the exhaust and road noise from the tires.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I now have a 1in by 12in iron bolt strapped to the exhaust with little change so that will come off soon. I have to say that either Im getting used to it or the muffler is now breaking in because it seems to be less annoying when it's at cruising speed. I'm still thrilled with it.. although being loud in the morning and not having my coffee yet kinda got me this morning but other than that it's all good. LOL!

One thing I noticed was that with the 3rd row seat up it seems to dampen some of the drone. I think that seat has been used about 3 times and I had my brother-in-law and in-laws here this weekend so we needed the seat and it really did kill some of the drone..

@apyanthony
Do you drive with your 3rd seat (assuming you have one) up or down? Have you tried driving with it up since you got your exhaust?

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I haven't noticed any improvements in drone whether the third row is down or up... actually I have almost no drone inside the cabin with my SI/SO 5x11x22 Magnaflow

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was considering doing the exhaust after just recently doing the "Black Mamba" and loving the sound of the beast that is unleashed once I floor it. One of my favorite things about the "BM" is that it is quiet at cruise speeds and not annoyingly loud. I don't know exactly what you mean when you mention "drone", but I am assuming that it's the noise of the exhaust at cruise speeds??? Anyway, as I mentioned before, I was considering adding the exhaust, but definitely want to stay away from the loud exhaust sound at these speeds if possible. Is it possible?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Foreverbfc. Go with the one Dodge4Life has 5x11x22. Magnaflow makes good stuff. If you really want low drone go with that muffler and then a glasspack and tip out the back. It'll kill the drone and be real quite.. But who want's to be quiet. If you go with a side exit you probably wont have room for a resonator. I love my side exit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
just had my resonator removed today and straight piped, $60 out the door, gives a little rumble. :cool: was talking to my exhaust guy and he says you really need to go with a big can muffler made for Suv's. like a flowmaster 60 or 70 series. because the muffler is right under the passenger seat, the drone can become a problem. He offered to sell me a flowmaster knock off for $150 plus $50 install. it's made by FLO-PRO. He even said i could bring him a flowmaster or any other muffler i wanted and he would install for $50. all his stuff is fully welded, NO CLAMPS.

·
Chief's Pride!!!
2,497 Posts
Sweet set up Chester, it will really sound bad ass when it breaks in. Yeah most Exhaust dealers will work with you and $40-50 is the going rate for labor. As for drone, I had it really bad, but for some reason, when i put the Mamba in, it dropped down to little to nothing, kind of wierd. I am glad it is warm again, I can finally drive around with the windows downs, radio down, and enjoy the rumble. I don't use AC unless it is unbearable or my wife and son are in the truck, other than that, I enjoy the fresh air and rumble.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I can finally drive around with the windows downs, radio down, and enjoy the rumble. I don't use AC unless it is unbearable or my wife and son are in the truck, other than that, I enjoy the fresh air and rumble.
X2

I would have to say that drone is present with my 5x11x22 SI/SO Magnaflow, but It doesn't bother me and it's not unbearable. It's also pretty loud, but not too loud; just the right amount :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.